G'Day

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JONJON

Junior
Reaction score
New to winemaking. Have 20 boxes of Shiraz grapes coming on the 21st March to crush. Never done wine before so will most likely be asking a few questions. Based in Melbourne, Australia. Cheers Jon

Sounds like fun! Welcome to WMT! Looking forward to seeing and hearing how it goes ~ and ask away. There is a lot of good information here from some amazing wine makers. Also, read through the forums and search a bunch. It's easy to get lost in the weeds so if you need to, ask away! It's far better to do so earlier than later on~

Sounds like fun! Welcome to WMT! Looking forward to seeing and hearing how it goes ~ and ask away. There is a lot of good information here from some amazing wine makers. Also, read through the forums and search a bunch. It's easy to get lost in the weeds so if you need to, ask away! It's far better to do so earlier than later on~

Thanks so much David

I'm sitting here thinking "I have no idea how much you know about wine making". You said you were new, but how new, do have equipment, and/or some knowledge of wine making? We love to help here, but . . . where to start! I'm going to venture out here, even though I only make wine kits, judging by the reaction on the amount, I hope you have a wine barrel available! Lol!

Last edited:
I'm sitting here thinking "I have no idea how much you know about wine making". You said you were new, but how new, do have equipment, and/or some knowledge of wine making? We love to help here, but . . . where to start! I'm going to venture out here, even though I only make wine kits, judging by the reaction on the amount, I hope you have a wine barrel available!

I make cider so have a press, 500L fermenting tub, 6 x 54L demijohns. I also make vinegar which is in barrels but can get more. Was going to second ferment in demijohns with oak instead of using barrels (still need to research the oak part, was thinking filling a tube with holes with oak shavings and putting in for a few days)

Last edited:
OK, now we're off! You know about equipment, fermenting, sanitizing, etc. I didn't know if you were pre-school or High- school (you might have a Degree!) The tube thing sounds like it will work. Are wine additives an issue (I'll imagine you know), like Pot. Meta., sorbate, tannins, nutrient, etc.

Last edited:
OK, now we're off! You know about equipment, fermenting, sanitizing, etc. I didn't know if you were pre-school or High- school (you might have a Degree!) The tube thing sounds like it will work. Are wine additives an issue (I'll imagine you know), like Pot. Meta., sorbate, tannins, nutrient, etc.

I use to pot meta and citric to hold my barrels in between vinegars. Haven't used in wine so will need tips on how much to add and when. I read you do it each time you rack? My brew shop said to add pot met (i've got 20g for 20 boxes) and enzyme colour plus (4g) after crushing then add yeast next day. Sorbate, tannins, nutrient i'll need help.

I've also used Pectinex to break down fruits for more yield making vinegars. Would this be used in winemaking?

It might be used as a clearing agent, I'm thinking. BTW wine is pretty forgiving, so if you miss a rack for a month, probably ok. I know that you know the rest, sorbate - all done! -edit- I think you're right, pectinase breaks down the cell walls of the fruit, giving more yield. Used early, I believe that it is used pre-fermentation. Thinking something else.

Last edited:
It might be used as a clearing agent, I'm thinking. BTW wine is pretty forgiving, so if you miss a rack for a month, probably ok. I know that you know the rest, sorbate - all done! -edit- I think you're right, pectinase breaks down the cell walls of the fruit, giving more yield. Used early, I believe that it is used pre-fermentation. Thinking something else.

I just looked up enzyme colour plus that the brew shop gave me. It's pretty much like pectinase. -

Micro-granulated enzyme for maceration of red grapes. EnartisZym Color Plus is effective in the extraction and mainly in the stabilization of color compounds. Its secondary activities, cellulase and hemicellulase, degrade cell walls, thus accelerating and increasing the solubility of anthocyanins and tannins associated with cellular structures. The protease activity degrades proteins and decreases their ability to precipitate tannins and pigments. EnartisZym Color Plus results in wines with a bigger structure and with intense and stable color.

Thanks for your help.

New to winemaking. Have 20 boxes of Shiraz grapes coming on the 21st March to crush. Never done wine before so will most likely be asking a few questions. Based in Melbourne, Australia. Cheers Jon
Hello JonJon,
We watch the Eagle's concert from Melbourne Australia, glad to meet someone from across the globe!

Welcome to the forum. I interested to see how you go. I'm also based in Melbourne (well.. Korumburra) and had a 100kg of Shiraz from Heathcote on order but had to cancel because delivery ended up clashing with a booked holiday. I still have my own Pinot noir & Chardonnay grapes so not at a loose end.
Good luck

Latest posts

Back