Gas Getter

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not familiar with this. I use a vacuum pump (medical aspirator) for both degassing and vacuum racking. 6 gallon carboys full of wine are just too heavy for me anymore.

I have seen them advertised in Winemaker Mag. It would be cheaper to just purchase a good used vacuum pump and some tubing. PM Wade to see if he has any left to sell or if he can point you in the right direction for a source.

The cheapest gas getter is $75 plus shipping plus you have to supply a compressor it says on their website.

Ebay is your friend, you can get a good deal on these vacuum aspirators. You can also check out your local craigslist sometimes people are cleaning out the house after a loved one passes away. These are perfectly fine to use if you clean them like any other appliance

Search for aspirators, model names of invacare and schuco are some good ones you can pick up for about $50-$75, you might need to get a canister and tubing with it

Not selling the pumps anymore but do sell the dble drilled bungs if you need some. Try and find a pump with both hoses long and short and the overflow canister.

From one Robert to another. I have a Gas Getter( have had for over a year) and would not do without it. IMHO get one. I have the 4 plug style. It works.

Can you rack, filter and also bottle with the gas getter? You can with the vacuum pump. You can even rack from one floor up to another which Ive done. Im not saying the gas getter is no good in any way as Ive never used one but the vacuum pump is just awesome and doesnt require a big air compressor if you dot have one.

please clarify. the vacuum aspirator will suck air in and a air compressor (like the oneused to fill up a tire)required for a gas getter blows air out. So the vacuum aspirator could not be used with a gas getter attachment.
Is this right?, Ithoughtthe gas getterworked asa vacuum to degass and could attach a apiratorfor use.

No, you don't use the gasgetter with the aspirator. The aspirator is a vacuum and is used to pull a slight vacuum on the top of the carboy. This will cause the bubbles (CO2) in the wine to come to the top and be evacuated.The GasGetter uses compressed air to create a vacuum.

I picked up my aspirator on e-bay for about $30. When I need to degass it takes about 30 seconds to unloop the tubing and plug it in.

I think the gas getter works on the Venturi principle. It flows air past an opening which drops the pressure inside the vessel( essentially creating a slight vacuum ). Dropping the pressure releases the gas in the liquid solution. The aspirator creates a negative pressure which you contol how much negative force you wish to use. I use my aspirator and start at negative 10 for 5 min then increase the pressure to negative 15, and finish off at negative 20 for 5 min. Total time of 15 min to completely degas the wine.

+1 for that!
smiley20.gif

gaudet said:
Total time of 15 min to completely degas the wine.

thanks for clarifying gauget. Not that I want a gas getter, but I already have an air compressor. I am very interested in finding a aspirator. The cheap ones you see on Ebay, usually are missing the overflow, so I should keep looking for one with the reserve tank or make my own container and go for the posted on (thread) Ebay link.

If you really want to use your shop compressor and get into the vacuum wine business cheaply, I see Harbor Freight has
their "Air Vacuum Pump with R134A and R12 Connectors"
for 14.99. This is the venturi type that others clarified. You don't need the connectors that come with it
but a few dollars of fittings, tubing and carboy caps would get you degassing / vacuum racking. The drawback ( for me a t least )is running the air compressor ( a noisy and electrically inefficient way to get a vacuum source..
( while I have one of these (in my self-service A/C days ))
I now have / use a "real" vacuum pump for wine / wood working (vacuum bagging) projects ...

Bacci

You can make your own overflow container with a 1 gallon jug, a solid rubber bung to fit that 1 gallon jug (#6 I think), some rigid tubing (vacuum line) and a couple small metal tubes the size of you vacuum line. You will have to drill the holes yourself in the bung or possibly find one bung that has 2 predrilled holes. hook em in series and run it. You can use an old racking cane to make rising tubes to connect to the aspirator

Wade, that thing is in Canada and shipping has been quoted at $57. That makes the price close to $100. Still a good deal? I too have been watching ebay for an aspirator. Have not seen a lot withthe jug and hoses, but that is not a deal breaker for me. So far the rest of the world seems to think these are worth more than I do. I'll keep trying though.

I would not make wine without one again. Ill look again to see if I can find one a little closer.

Latest posts

Back