Gallon milk jugs

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rgecaprock

Reaction score
I'm going to make a small amout of fruit wine and was wondering if I can use a 1 gal. plastic milk jug for a secondaryfermenter. It is obviously food grade plastic. Just can't see through it. Haven't heard anyone say they have used them.

Ramona

What would concern me the most is getting all of the milk out. It seems like no matter how many times you rinse a milk jug, you still get more milky water.

I would also check the rating on the bottom of the jug. I may be wrong, but just because it is food grade, does not mean the acids in the wine can not affect the plastic.

I will also add that I have had mixed reviews on the plastic water bottles. Some books say not to use them for an extended time.

Hopefully someone else has had some experience with them.

George,

You are right about that. Milk is hard to rinse out and the jug has kind of rough texture which would probably trap micro-organisms. I guess if you think about it long enough you can answer your own question.

Thanks. Ramona

Ramona,

George is right concerning containers used for different storage of "products" even for food items. I was very concerned about this issue awhile back and looked into it. You may want to go to the internet and enter the topic..."Food Grade Containers" where it will show different embossed labels under containers, their uses, etc., you will be surprised to know their differences.

Latest posts

Back