WineXpert Fwk verse winexpert

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Getting the government involved always helps. History has shown us this many times over.

Normally, I would agree. But As someone who has worked in the consumer packaged goods industry all my life I would tell you that the truth in labeling laws are why you (and so many people) are now seeing a much cleaner food industry and seeing so much less “negative” things in our foods. Requiring transparency on packaging caused that movement

Let me ask a question….would you go to your local grocery store and buy a big plain bag of “strawberry jam” if it was just sitting in a cooler without a label, ingredient deck or nutritional statement?

Last edited:
Normally, I would agree. But As someone who has worked in the consumer packaged goods industry all my life I would tell you that the truth in labeling laws are why you (and so many people) are now seeing a much cleaner food industry and seeing so much less “negative” things in our foods. Requiring transparency on packaging caused that movement.
There are several chemist types on these forums, plus the countless private labs that any one of us could send a sample to. I'd trust them far more than the USDA or FDA.

There are a lot of ifs ands or buts in regulations, I'm speculating here that maybe these kind of products are not subject to these laws and/or regulations I'm looking at my commercial liquor, beer, and wine bottles and do not see that on them. This is not an alcoholic product per se but is meant for and bound to be one.

There are a lot of ifs ands or buts in regulations, I'm speculating here that maybe these kind of products are not subject to these laws and/or regulations I'm looking at my commercial liquor, beer, and wine bottles and do not see that on them. This is not an alcoholic product per se but is meant for and bound to be one.

Perhaps, but I am simply arguing that from a consumer perspective (not a legal or usda requirement) that I would like to know what it is that I am exactly consuming! Hell, what if I have any number of given allergies to certain extenders or preservatives like Carrageenan? I would have no way of ensuring that I am ok to consume this product without just risking it.

Perhaps, but I am simply arguing that from a consumer perspective (not a legal or usda requirement) that I would like to know what it is that I am exactly consuming! Hell, what if I have any number of given allergies to certain extenders or preservatives like Carrageenan? I would have no way of ensuring that I am ok to consume this product without just risking it.
You could simply ask Matt or Matteo. They answer the phone, and return e-mails rather quickly. That's the beauty of small business.

You could simply ask Matt or Matteo. They answer the phone, and return e-mails rather quickly. That's the beauty of small business.
Sure, or they could simply include an ingredient/allergen statement in their product. @Brian55, I can appreciate your perspective and clear bias toward FWK, I too am enjoying their products, but what I am asking is not outrageous and would only help and support their business as it would give consumers even more confidence in purchasing their product. Peace out! ✌️

I'd trust them far more than the USDA or FDA.
The info printed on the label would be coming from FWK. It's a small thing for a product developer to prepare this info and the cost for the label is very small compared to the rest of kit.
I would have no way of ensuring that I am ok to consume this product without just risking it.
I totally agree and frankly, I a bit surprised that there is no label on their boxes.
There are a lot of ifs ands or buts in regulations, I'm speculating here that maybe these kind of products are not subject to these laws and/or regulations I'm looking at my commercial liquor, beer, and wine bottles and do not see that on them.
At least in the EU alcoholic beverages have been exempted from the mandatory listing of ingredients and nutrition declaration but no longer, from 2022 it will be mandatory. I think it will be a bar code on each bottle pointing a website where the info will be available.

Sure, or they could simply include an ingredient/allergen statement in their product. @Brian55, I can appreciate your perspective and clear bias toward FWK, I too am enjoying their products, but what I am asking is not outrageous and would only help and support their business as it would give consumers even more confidence in purchasing their product. Peace out! ✌
I would like to see them succeed, as they are clearly onto something. If it was simple and cost effective they would likely have already been doing this.

Brian, I have been working with these thing my entire life and I know that this is simple and the cost is low.
Ditto! Go to any farmers market and you will find most local farmers selling jams/jellies/ raw honey and other consumables and they ALL have ingredient statements on their goods.

There are multpiple warnings on the box about not consuming the raw product until it's fermented - I presume that's how they aren't required to put a nutritional label on it. I've never seen a nutritional label on any alcoholic beverage, nor would I expect one.

I'm no expert on the FDA - perhaps someone who is could comment.

My opinion here - those of you who are concerned about allergy statements, ingredient lists, nutritional statements, etc., etc., etc. have a choice to buy from another supplier who meets your needs. It seems to me plenty of small independent businesses have been crushed by overreaching government requirements. I, for one, would rather not buy everything from a conglomerate full of chemists and lawyers.

There are multpiple warnings on the box about not consuming the raw product until it's fermented - I presume that's how they aren't required to put a nutritional label on it. I've never seen a nutritional label on any alcoholic beverage, nor would I expect one.

I'm no expert on the FDA - perhaps someone who is could comment.

Interesting point, but raw chicken also has the same warnings and still required to have ingredient statements. 🤷‍♂️

Clearly they are doing some sort of processing to the grapes, crushing removing skins, adding acids etc etc. I would like to know what is in that bag of mystery slurry that I am consuming. Maybe I am the only one that cares?

Back