Finer Wine Kit FWK Pinot Noir Forte - Very Light color

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dukeisaac

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I started a FWK Pinot Noir Forte, with 2 skin packs, back in July 2023. After 2 polishing racks, I noticed the color is lighter than expected. Besides adding some red grape concentrate, which will make the wine sweeter, what else can be done to turn the color a deeper red?

Post a picture. Did you follow the FWK protocol, sealing the fermenter when the SG was below 1.020 and not opening until Day 14?

One choice is to blend with a darker wine. However, what does it taste like? If you're happy with the flavor, you might ignore the color.

Not sure I understand this, are saying that that could make the wine color lighter? If so, how?
No, the opposite. The short EM on the skin packs is more likely to improve color, as there's more extraction.

I made a Tavola PN last year, no skin packs, and got very nice color for a juice red. It doesn't make sense that a Forte with 2 skin packs wouldn't have good color, so I'm considering the few things that could go wrong.

I started the PN with 2 skin packs + seeds and pitched in the yeast on 7/27. By 8/1 the S.G. was already 1.008 and I locked the fermenter and installed an airlock. On 8/13, I racked to a carboy, squeezed the muslin bag to extract as much wine as possible, then I proceeded to degas, stabilized, and clearing. I completed all of step 5. After the 1st polishing, I added 1/4 tsp of k-meta. After the second polishing, that's when I noticed the very light color of the wine. It also lacks body, tasting almost like a rose (I don't know how to put the accent on the e). It's still in the carboy and I'm debating adding some grape juice concentrate to darken the color, and some tartaric acid to balance the sweetness added by the grape juice. I'm eager to hear what Winemaker81 thinks could have gone wrong. On Nov 2022, I made a PN Tavola and a Riesling Tavola and both were very good.

One choice is to blend with a darker wine. However, what does it taste like? If you're happy with the flavor, you might ignore the color.
The flavor is okay but it lacks body and finish. I think the color is important since one does not expect a PN to be so light. The mind plays a huge role in the perception of taste and enjoyment.
I recently improved on a bottle of Chilean Sauvignon Blanc by justg adding a pinch of tartaric acid. I'm thinking that adding some grape juice concentrate and some tartaric acid might improve this wine. Any opinion on the afore mentioned steps?

I think the color is important since one does not expect a PN to be so light.
I can't argue with your expectitions but wine made from PN are normally pale though PN from California tend to be darker compared to old world PN. When I made a PN kit with grapes from Cal I was a bit disappointed due to the dark colour.

Posting a picture of the wine in a wine glass would be helpful.

Last edited:
No, the opposite. The short EM on the skin packs is more likely to improve color, as there's more extraction.
Sometimes EM can cause color to drop, but that is typically longer EM. I had a cab from Livermore and frozen must that I did 28 day EM. It was dark and rich at the end of fermentation. At the end of the EM. It looked like a dark rose. The mouthfeel was great and the wine was smooth, but the color precipitated out. It was the lightest colored red wine I have ever made.
I used EX-V enzyme too. EM can cause color to become lighter depending on the timing and length of the EM.

Last edited:
Posting a picture of the wine in a wine glass would be helpful.
Right after the second racking a week ago, the wine appeared much lighter in color and insipid. I'm glad I was asked for pictures. During that one week, it has changed completely. See attached pictures. The color and the taste have improved a whole lot. I will not mess with it any longer. Thanks for preventing me from ruining this one.

Attachments

• Pinot_2.jpg
    Pinot_2.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Pinot_1.jpg
    Pinot_1.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 0
Sometimes EM can cause color to drop, but that is typically longer EM. I had a cab from Livermore and frozen must that I did 28 day EM. It was dark and rich at the end of fermentation. At the end of the EM. It looked like a dark rose. The mouthfeel was great and the wine was smooth, but the color precipitated out. It was the lightest colored red wine I have ever made.
I used EX-V enzyme too. EM can cause color to become lighter depending on the timing and length of the EM.
Articles I've read on EM spoke of the color being more intense. However, I accept your practical experience over an article.

Right after the second racking a week ago, the wine appeared much lighter in color and insipid. I'm glad I was asked for pictures. During that one week, it has changed completely. See attached pictures. The color and the taste have improved a whole lot. I will not mess with it any longer. Thanks for preventing me from ruining this one.
Very few things in winemaking require immediate attention. I've had numerous wines darken during aging, so your results are not surprising.

This is my Tavola at 19 months old.

PN.jpg

Many moons ago I dabbled in Burgundy, spending a lot of money in a short time before I realized that most Burgundy is not that good. The good ones are great, but the remainder is expensive plonk.

Very few were darker than yours. PN doesn't produce a lot of color, either in France or NY (where I'm originally from). In that light, mine is actually dark, although we need to consider it's a kit made from CA grapes.

Articles I've read on EM spoke of the color being more intense. However, I accept your practical experience over an article.
It is not just practical experience.

https://winefolly.com/deep-dive/winemakers-red-wine-secret-extended-maceration/
Here is an explanation on Wine Folly but there are scientific articles out there explaining it. anthocyanin levels will peak earlier in fermentation and start to decrease with extended fermentation (exactly what I had experienced).

This probably doesn’t happen always in noticeable level. Again, it depends on timing on skins, tannin and protein content (and other) factors in the complex wine matrix.

Last edited:
DukeIsaac,

That PN color looks great! Winemaker81's PN is definitely on the darker side, but also looks great. Some of the best PN I've ever had (from Oregon) was very light and subtle.

Something I recommend in the future is to go to the grocery store and buy a couple commercial wines in the same style as what you are making. I pour myself a small flight (including my wine) and make notes and comparisons. I find a lot of commercial wines to be boring and one-dimensional, but they are usually right down the middle in terms of color, clarity, aromatics, and taste profile. That helps me get a good gauge on where my wine currently stands.

Take care!

Latest posts

Back