frustration with Diamanti Ice Wine Kit

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottvin

Junior
Reaction score
Hi all, this is my first post and first wine kit as well. I purchased the Diamanti Ice Wine Kit from Amazon and attempted to make my first batch last weekend.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002RZ1QBI/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I am a homebrewer so I understand cleaning and sanitation.

Here are my issues:
The instructions said you don't need any water when making the kit. I pour the grape juice in and then added the bentonite. I then added the yeast (1116) , took a gravity reading (1.140) and let it be for the last seven days. I notice there is no krausen (not sure what it is called in wine making) and took another gravity reading - 1.140. The temperature of the room was between 69F- 72F. I decided to pitch two more packets of yeast (1116) to attempt to kickstart the wine. I saw some airlock activity the next morning but there is still no real krausen. Is my SG too high for the yeast?

Has anyone else tried these kits?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
So how many total days since you pitched your yeast? And you haven't seen any change in the SG?

I also have this in primary right now. It fermented well the first week, then slowed drastically. Now it seems it's stalled at 1.020.

If you haven't seen any signs of fermentation at all and your temp is within the suggested range, I would contact Advintage (or whatever it is).

Here are my notes:

5/24/13
Started wine, added bentonite, pitched yeast
SG 1.140

5/29/13
SG 1.140 no fermentation activity
Pitched 2 packets of KV-1116
Seeing some co2 release now

Take another SG reading when you get a chance, it might be moving now

What was the first yeast you pitched? Sometimes a yeast starter is a good idea with high sugar musts like this

Deezil said:
Take another SG reading when you get a chance, it might be moving now

What was the first yeast you pitched? Sometimes a yeast starter is a good idea with high sugar musts like this

SG is still 1.140. I pitched 1116 as well the first time. How do I make a starter for wine? That's ok even if you are using dry yeast? Is this batch salvageable?

1 cup of room-temp water + yeast packet, in a quart jar or something

Give it the 15 minutes it states on the package, to rehydrate, then stir/swirl the jar

After another 15 minutes, add a small amount... 1/4 - 1/3 cup of the 1.140 must to the container holding the rehydrated yeast...

Give that 2-3 hours, observe it for expansion & duplication, foaming and listen for CO2.. When its seemingly plateaued on activity, add another same-amount-as-before of the must to the yeast culture

Rinse & repeat a few times, usually for a total of 12-24 hours total

When the culture is fermenting actively, and you've added enough must that the majority of the liquid within the container is indeed the must itself, then you can pitch the yeast starter into the rest of the must with almost bullet-proof results

Have you used any yeast nutrient/energizer?

Last edited:
Alright.
Should I use a stir plate with this?
Should I cover the jar?
I used dap.

I have go ferm and fermaid k as well.

I a

Use Go-Ferm per the instructions.. 110F water, stir it in, then add yeast to that water for your starter, just be sure to let it cool off enough so the yeast dont just die from too high of a temp

You could use a stir plate if you wished

I dont worry about covering the jar myself, but something breathable wouldnt hurt.. It'll start producing CO2 so you dont want an airtight seal

No DAP or Fermaid-K in the yeast starter, just in the must itself

Before I read this post I decided to aerate the wort some and I believe I got some fermentation but no real airlock activity. I will check the SG this evening to see if it went down at all. If not, I will attempt the yeast starter.

Well, that tactic got the gravity down to 1.134 :|
I will be trying the yeast starter tactic next. If that doesn't work - I am not sure what to do.

scottvin:

Is there any possibility that you added the sorbate that likely came with this kit? Perhaps instead of the bentonite?

Steve

I believe the packet said bentonite and it looked like clay but I will double check tonight.

I checked and I used the bentonite packet. I am going to try Deezil's instructions to create a yeast starter. Hope that works!

I made the yeast starter as stated above and it was very active when I pitched it. Hopefully when I get home tonight there is something going on!

So I get home and take a hydro reading 1.120 down from 1.123 this morning. However no real foam. Temp on fermometer is 72f.

So I get home and take a hydro reading 1.120 down from 1.123 this morning. However no real foam. Temp on fermometer is 72f.

I'm fermenting my third kit. The first two were great. The yeast that came with my kit is the Levlin E1118. In fact that's the yeast that has come with every kit I've purchased. It's working fine.

If you call Amazon and complain, they'll give you credit for the purchase and send you another one if you want it. I did that once when they didn't send the fining agents and they gave me another one free. I added my own fining agents and got 30 bottles of wine free.

Back