Fruit

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bub307

Reaction score
Why do some people put the fruit straight in the primary and some use a bag, does it make a difference in the wine?

Then you have some that squeeze and some just let it drip?

I do all of the above, depends on the fruit. You can put berries in a bag and wring them out pretty good, but put peaches in one and wring them out, bad idea. You dont have to use a bag, you can just strain the fruit out when transferring to your secondary. WVMJ

It's personal preference, mostly.

Some people make wine by putting the fruit in the bag, squeezing it every day and removing the bag when they rack into a carboy

Some people make wine by just letting the fruit free float, and will rack into a carboy leaving the fruit behind

But if you start diving into fruit wines where it's all-fruit and very limited water (it's all i make, these days), then the bag is more trouble than its worth. And hoping to leave the fruit behind when racking to a carboy is pretty much laughable.. So I'll rack everything to the carboy - liquid, fruit, sediment, everything..

The squeeze vs drip thing is a bridge some cross when they rack to secondary, to either try to get all the liquid out and who cares about the sediment (squeeze), or hold back the sediment in the bag and let whatever will run out, run out (drip). Just different methods; it's what makes everyones bottle a little different, even if we use the same 'recipe'.

It's personal preference, mostly.

Some people make wine by putting the fruit in the bag, squeezing it every day and removing the bag when they rack into a carboy

Some people make wine by just letting the fruit free float, and will rack into a carboy leaving the fruit behind

But if you start diving into fruit wines where it's all-fruit and very limited water (it's all i make, these days), then the bag is more trouble than its worth. And hoping to leave the fruit behind when racking to a carboy is pretty much laughable.. So I'll rack everything to the carboy - liquid, fruit, sediment, everything..

The squeeze vs drip thing is a bridge some cross when they rack to secondary, to either try to get all the liquid out and who cares about the sediment (squeeze), or hold back the sediment in the bag and let whatever will run out, run out (drip). Just different methods; it's what makes everyones bottle a little different, even if we use the same 'recipe'.

Using just fruit like strawberry where do you get all the liquid? Say how much strawberries per gallon?

For strawberry, I would freeze the fruit first for a few days. Once thoroughly frozen - so that the water within the fruit expands as it turns to ice, tearing tiny rips in the fruit through out - I would add all the said-fruit to the primary container.

I would then add K-meta / potassium sulfite / campden tablets to protect the fruit from oxidation/rotting, and let the fruit proceed to melt.

Because it was frozen, and those rips occurred, as it thaws the juice will begin to leak out. With enough fruit, you end up with some liquid, but usually not enough to cover the fruit like you'd want to see. So about 12 hours after adding the K-meta/sulfites, I would add a pectic enzyme to break the fruit the rest of the way down. After this works for about 12 hours, give or take, you're usually left with some "baby food in a bucket" kinda thing. At which point, you can measure the SG/Brix and the pH/TA, adjust and get your yeast ready.

Then its off to the races, like any other ferment.

After fermentation, when its slowing down - we all rack to secondary at different times - I would then rack ALL of whats in the bucket, into a carboy. Personally, I then degas it. I know most people dont, but thats how I handle the sediment; I hook it up to my vacuum pump and suck the CO2 out, causing the fruit/sediment to fall to the bottom and leave relatively clear wine on top. Rack off the sediment and isolate it into quart jars or something, it usually has more liquid to give up. It takes a couple days to isolate the gunk, and then I'll K-meta/sulfite the leftover or clear-ish wine, but not the sediment.

Most fruits, using these kind of methods, need 10-12lbs per gallon.

For strawberry, I would freeze the fruit first for a few days. Once thoroughly frozen - so that the water within the fruit expands as it turns to ice, tearing tiny rips in the fruit through out - I would add all the said-fruit to the primary container.

I would then add K-meta / potassium sulfite / campden tablets to protect the fruit from oxidation/rotting, and let the fruit proceed to melt.

Because it was frozen, and those rips occurred, as it thaws the juice will begin to leak out. With enough fruit, you end up with some liquid, but usually not enough to cover the fruit like you'd want to see. So about 12 hours after adding the K-meta/sulfites, I would add a pectic enzyme to break the fruit the rest of the way down. After this works for about 12 hours, give or take, you're usually left with some "baby food in a bucket" kinda thing. At which point, you can measure the SG/Brix and the pH/TA, adjust and get your yeast ready.

Then its off to the races, like any other ferment.

After fermentation, when its slowing down - we all rack to secondary at different times - I would then rack ALL of whats in the bucket, into a carboy. Personally, I then degas it. I know most people dont, but thats how I handle the sediment; I hook it up to my vacuum pump and suck the CO2 out, causing the fruit/sediment to fall to the bottom and leave relatively clear wine on top. Rack off the sediment and isolate it into quart jars or something, it usually has more liquid to give up. It takes a couple days to isolate the gunk, and then I'll K-meta/sulfite the leftover or clear-ish wine, but not the sediment.

Most fruits, using these kind of methods, need 10-12lbs per gallon.

Sorry but how many pounds per gallon?

I agree with the 10-12lbs per gallon. I just started a strawberry wine using pretty much the method just described. I used just over 10 lbs(after cleaned and cut) strawberrys and wish I had a few more pounds in it.

I agree with the 10-12lbs per gallon. I just started a strawberry wine using pretty much the method just described. I used just over 10 lbs(after cleaned and cut) strawberrys and wish I had a few more pounds in it.

Do you freeze bananas to?

I've never done a banana before, maybe someone else can answer that.

I've looked but I can't find a recipe for all fruit without water could you point me to one?

Latest posts

Back