Fruit Wines

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bub307

Reaction score
What is the best yeast for fruit wines can handle 15% abv and not mess with the fruit flavor much?

I'd recommend 71b, ec-1118 is a monster of a workhorse yeast, but it can blow off some more delicates notes and aromas. Ec-1118 is also tolerant up to 18% ABV, so if you want to make rocket fuel, or get a stuck ferment, it's a great yeast to use.

71b only tolerates around 14-15%, and metabolizes some malic acids (common in apples, pears, plums, etc), and is gentle with the fruit's aromatics.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

I make fruit wines that are 14-16%abv with a wide varity of yeast. No flavor loss has been detected. You can tell what fruit you are drinking each time. I leave mine bone dry as well. Maybe you guys are loosing the flavor to oversweetening?

Sent from my iPod touch using Wine Making

I have made fruit wines at 14% and others at 12% and the ones at 12% have a much better flavor. You really do not lose flavor but the alcohol bite with a fruit wine is more detectable, grapes seem to take a high alcohol much better.

Like said above, 1118 is a monster of a yeast and not all that good for fruit wines, I normally stick with 71B

Latest posts

Back