Fruit Wine Making

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sly22guy

Reaction score
Ive read lots of different info but haven't really seen a complete write up on equipment & testing kits for making wine from fruit juice & fruit bases (ie non kits & non grape wines) There are a lot of us on here that could benefit from a good list of essential equipment & the other things we really don't need but make life easier. As myself i am just getting ready to make a batch of peach wine from frozen sliced peaches. So what testing equipment should i have? I have the ph strips, & hydrometer.

As far as the testing equipment you definitely need a hydrometer. A ph test kit will help as well as a titrate test kit. You can get by without the last two but you may run into difficulty along the way and having/using them would have helped.

Yeah deff a Hydrometer, an acis test kit. Of course a bucket with a tight fitting lid for the first fermit stage, and a demijon or two. Bottels, corkes, and corker. Airlockes and stoppers for the demijons. Adittives such as yeast nutrient, pectic enzime, camden tablets, wine tannin,(maybe). Yeast for wine..... If you really get into it a press, can be easily made.
But most of this isn't needed right away, or ever.... All depends and where your going with it. :sn

any other thoughts from anyone heading to the lhbs in bout an hour? N YES I DO HAVE A HYDROMETER! Love it when people don't read:m

Sorry just trying to help. I will make sure to keep my coments to myself. So sorry to bother you..

Buy another Primary or 2, 4 carboys, 6 airlocks, extra Hydrometer:dg(they seem to break),100 cocks and a good floor cocker, 1 lb of K-meta powder, 1 lb pectic enzyme,10 packages of yeast(variety) Get some Oxyclean for taking labels off bottles too, while you there, you will need them as the addiction takes over and it will save you a trip:p

all I make are fruit wines and I would never do without at least 2 primaries (6 gallon bucket or food grade storage tub,) ACID BLEND (I see you forgot that in your list, DRIBRON) to stop oxidation of certain fruits (like when apples turn brown...if you are in a pinch, FruitFresh or crushed Vitamin C tabs work, too.) I have about 6 carboys...I use watercooler jugs (as long as the plastic # is not 3 or 4) and I have a couple BetterBottles. At least 5 ft. Clear hose for syphoning during racking and very fine-screen seives during that 1st rack to aid clearing. Some fruit wines will give you trouble clearing, so I would invest in a couple varieties of fining agents, like SuperKleer and Bentonite. Always add pectic enzyme a 1/2-hour prior to pitching your yeast.

I did forget that, as well as clearification agents such as gelatin finnings or bentonite like just memtioned. A bottle filler might also be nice to have. I use the one I bought some time back when I brewed beer.

I did forget that, as well as clearification agents such as gelatin finnings or bentonite like just memtioned. A bottle filler might also be nice to have. I use the one I bought some time back when I brewed beer.

Oh, yeah! Don't forget the potassium sorbate! Popped a couple corks in my time...heard about it from my old man.

mmadmikes1 can't help myself (100 cocks) What in the world kind of wine you making up there in washington! lmfao! Any who. I have tons of equipement, 4 primaries, (2 stainless 2 plastic) 2 - 6 gal BB & 2 - 5Gal BB & 1- 3 gal BB, Plus a few 1 gal's. Hydrometer, Various spoons & tubing. Brush, Enolmatic Bottle Filler. I didn't make it clear enough when i posted this was when making fruit wines is there some other testing equip besides the norm.

pH Meter

If you are looking at fruit wines a pH meter will come in handy.

Yeah deff a Hydrometer, an acis test kit. Of course a bucket with a tight fitting lid for the first fermit stage, and a demijon or two. Bottels, corkes, and corker. Airlockes and stoppers for the demijons. Adittives such as yeast nutrient, pectic enzime, camden tablets, wine tannin,(maybe). Yeast for wine..... If you really get into it a press, can be easily made.
But most of this isn't needed right away, or ever.... All depends and where your going with it. :sn

Can you provide instructions on how to easily make a press?

any other thoughts from anyone heading to the lhbs in bout an hour? N YES I DO HAVE A HYDROMETER! Love it when people don't read:m

Please do not razz anyone for trying to help!!!!! We read a lot of posts by many people and sometimes we miss something or make mistakes. If you cant handle that then this isnt the place for you! :gn

I'll try to find the link I used to make my press. It really wasn't too bad if you like tinkering around with wood as I do.

Sorry Sly, I have a smart @$$ streak I just cant seem to control, you will in time find it funny

hey smart guy,

don't ask a question and then complain when someone is kind enough to try and answer.

mmadmikes1 dude im right there with you im a smart @$$ too! I thought it was hilarious, unfortunetly some people can't see the humor.

As far as my reply to dribon meant no harm, its just seemed to me he only read the first line and responded from that my bad.

Wade, since when did you lose your sense of humor?

I merely posted up my initial question more for the benefit of beginners looking to step from kits to making a batch from fruit or juice from scratch. I myself am still a beginner but have committed to this hobby. I planted 36 grape vines this spring. so ive started to make some fruit & kit wines to work on my skills till i have good crops of grapes. I stumble across this forum and found it very informative and light humored.

Latest posts

Back