Fruit Wine Body Enhancers

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chopper

Reaction score
As for giving fruit wines more body, it seems one can use grape concentrate or raisins.

Welch's white grape juice frozen concentrate seems to be widely used by a lot of people. But Welch's does not make a "red grape juice concentrate".

A lot of people seem to use WinExpert red grape concentrate. But that stuff is expensive, and no stores in my area carry it, which means I have to pay shipping on top of the high price. So, I'd like to find an alternative.

What about "Welch's Grape Concentrate" made from concord grapes? Or something else (preferably something carried by Wal Mart)?

Or is the WinExpert stuff so good that it's worth the price?

Concord grape have a pretty strong flavor, so mixing it with a light flavored fruit might hide the flavor of the fruit.....One thing to look at when adding some of these concentrates is if they have preservatives in them....Take a look in the organic section of some of your stores, you may find something there....Good Luck

Another option is the Alexander red & white concentrates. The 46 oz. cans range from about $15-23.
VPC

I would just stick with the white concentrate and rely on color from the fruit I am using.

The Alexander's concentrates are a good alternative, but the 46 oz can will be more than enough for most batches that contain a different fruit. NW has used it quite well with a bunch of her wines. The nice thing about them is you can get different varietals of juice, such as Merlot, etc.

I know it sounds crazy but add some old ripe bananas. Put them in a straining bag.

There is something in them that will add body.

I'm thinking there is also Glycerin.

When using bananas for added body I cut mine up and boil them in water ( just enough water to cover them) with some sugar for 2-3 minutes then simmer for another 20 minutes or so. Let it cool, strain out bananas and adsd the juice to my must

Another one that works great but which people cant seem to get their head around is simply to use some extra light dry malt extract, its got to be extra light so it doesnt add flavor but adds a lot of body. Crackedcork

How much do you recommend using for a fruit wine cracked cork? Ive seen this before and seems to do a great job.

Wade, depends on your taste, the fruit etc. I have gone to 3 lbs for 5 gal for strawberry, really made it nice and no taste from the ELDME. Crackedcork

Good info, I know Jobe used some on his Blackberry port which really thickened it up.

Cracked Cork, have you used the light malt? When I was at the LBS last weekIended up with light. Now I am worried, it seems there's anemphasison the extra light.

Extra Light Malt extract or you risk making it taste like beer. I did a pineapple one year, had some lefterover malt from a beer kit and added it, completely ruined the batch. From then on we stuck with just ELDM and have been very happy. No we dont add it to everything, if I am making a heavy desert wine I put it in there or if working with a light body fruit like strawberries it really makes a big difference. Crackedcork

Cracked Cork - do you have trouble with the ELDME clumping putting it into a room temperature wine? With beer, the water is boiling so that helps de-clump it. Maybe with extra light it is not a big problem.
Thanks for the tip!

Waldo said:
When using bananas for added body I cut mine up and boil them in water ( just enough water to cover them)  with some sugar for 2-3 minutes then simmer for another 20 minutes or so. Let it cool, strain out bananas and adsd the juice to my must

Waldo,
I think i remember seeing a photo you added somewhere out there that showed the bananas right b4 you boiled them. It looked like you were using the skins and all. did you add them to the skins and all to the primary??

thanks,

bill

I dissolve it in some hot tap water, the lumps dissapear eventually anyway but that might throw off the SG readings. Crackedcork

Latest posts

Back