Fruit Nectars

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

el wino

Reaction score
I have a question.Can fruit nectars be used to make wine.I believe they 100% natural..I am new to the art of wine making..

Welcome el wino,

Could you please give us more info on the product like what it is exactly and who makes it.

Thanks

certainly,fruit nectars made by jumex or del valle..I think they are imports from mexico...I see them in H.E.B grocers & Fiesta Mkt.grocers...They come in 12 or 16 oz.cans...

A little Info for ya EL WINO!!!!Found this article and you will be quite suprised!!

Jumex juices recalled due to lead contamination
<DIV =artViewCard>
<DIV =artPubLine>Several varieties of Jumex brand fruit nectars and pineapple juice were recalled by the manufacturer last July because of lead contamination. FDA warned consumers not to drink the recalled products because high concentrations of lead can result in permanent, severe injuries.
<DIV =artContent>

Although lead poisoning can cause short-term acute symptoms, such as gastrointestinal problems, it sometimes can be hard to confirm. Individuals who think they may have consumed the recalled drinks on a regular basis should consult their doctors.

Lead solder used to seal side seams of the drink cans is the suspected cause of the contamination. The acidic content of the fruit drinks makes them particularly susceptible to lead solder contamination. Vilore Foods Co., Inc., imported the drinks from Mexico for sale in the United States. The U.S. food canning industry no longer uses lead-soldered cans for food marketed for human consumption.

The condition of a child in San Diego, Calif., who developed lead poisoning after drinking several cans of Jumex juice a day over a period of time prompted the recall. FDA and the California Department of Health Services analyzed cans taken from the child's home and from several California stores and found many with potentially harmful lead levels

Well.................

That will stop those pesky friends from mooching wine from ya...........

I know........... That was mean.........

When thinking of making wine from anything other than a kit, stay clear
from any juice or nectar that has sorbate or benzoate in the
ingredients. Some juices also have metabisulfite in them but can be
worked around SOMETIMES. The frozen concentrates have k-meta in them
and many including me have used them with success but I do not add
k-meta in the beginning when using these. Some may include more meta
then others and you may try but may fail due to meta. I think that if
you are going to try a juice with the meta in it to not add the meta in
the beginning and stir really well and not to add the yeast for at
least 24 hours! Good luck!

Also, to add to Wade's awesome post... I think it helps to have a yeast starter in the case of a juice or concentrate that already contains sulfite.

Excellent addition! This way you know if the yeast failed due to being no good or the must being the problem! Thanks Sang!

Thank you for all your great advice.I think I will stay with the kits.I will be asking more questions as i venture more into this art.thank you again...

I've used the Jumex Mango Nectar in a mead I made last year and it turned out well. Can't say much about lead contamination and Wal Mart never mentioned a recall for the product they sold in the 12-oz cans.

Latest posts

Back