fruit and water

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stemavi

Reaction score
Hi everybody...

i would like to ask for help with this question.

I will make a fruit wine from a fuit similar to blackberries... This fruit do no have to much water content so in my country people bring to boil the fruit with water for 2 hours to brake the fruit and allow the water to obtain all the flavor of the fruit.. Then they ferment the water with all the fruit for the first fermentation process... But.. For a 5 gallon bach, how many pounts of fruit and water do i need? i have no been able to find that information... Thanks!...

Stemavi

I make mainly fruit wines and we freeze all of our fruit before we juice them. It help juice the fruit far better than non frozen.

We typically use 20-25 pounds of fruit per 5 gallons of wine. While I have never boiled my fruit before we will juice the fruit out with the help of sugar, then use water to bring it up to 50 gallons. We will leave the bag of fruit in there while it ferments and press the fruit after fermentation is done to get as much juice as we can out of it. Whether leaving the fruit in there brings out more flavor or not I have no idea. Just something we have always done. And our fruit wines always taste great with lots of flavor.

Thanks for the quick response.. I thoght the same. Here un Colombia all the people that make "Corozo Wine" used to bring to boil the fruit for about two hours... And i thoght it was common but after severals days reading in forums, i saw no body do that..

Its there any diference if you bring to boil the fruit or just mash it in the first fermentation stage? I have to say that to make the "Corozo Juice" here in Colombia, the fisrt step is to boil the fruir with the water... So i thing thats way here its tradition to make the same step to get the juice from the fruit to make wine..

Well.. Corozo Its a palm fruit. Thats why dont have water content and is so hard that you can not been cut.

This is how the juice is made....

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRv_3mmwV6E"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRv_3mmwV6E[/ame]

Now that we know what the fruit actually looks like, where it comes from etc. WOW! Anyone familiar with that fruit? As you said it looks like boiling is the only way to release that juice and it's flavor. From one web site I read it seems to taste like Pomegranate. If you have friends or others there who have made the wine before I suspect that you have the best source of information unless someone here has lived there or been there to watch the process.
Good luck with your "brew."

Most people don't cook fruits for wine as it gives it a cooked stewed flavor - like jam. Some people like that, though and do use cooked or steam-juiced fruits. It is a personal preference.

However, your fruit is very different. It may not be good raw.

If the juice tastes good after processing like this, then the wine should be good too. It can't hurt to give it a try.

thanks. Hope to start soon and i will be in touch to show you the process... Here in Colombia dont have good grapes for wine, only sweet grapes for moscatel wine.. So i will make "Corozo Wine" to star... Merry Cristmas

in an tecnical study i found that ley suggest from 25 to 30 Kg of fruit per 6 gallon of water.... But you recomend me 20 to 25 Pounds for 6 gallon... Would that study be right? There is to much diference...

Either will work but your flavor will be on the weak side with the 25-30Kg.
I would stick to 4-5lb. per gallon.

Steven Al reverso lo que Wineforfun te dijo. No le entiende kilos vs. pounds. The idea is that with more fruit per litre, the wine will be less diluted or aguado. Usually with juices the higher the purity, o sea con menos agua, you will produce a higher quality end product. I would recomend using the maximun fruit recommended in your research.

Hi. Could you please explain me what "weak side" mean?
:)

Thanks!.

Lacking flavor. It may be a lighter flavor than you want, not as pronouncedas using more fruit per gallon.

Latest posts

Back