Frozen Must from Lanza-Musto

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnd

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My frozen must will be arriving in the next 10 days, a number of you are using the same varietals that I will be receiving, and I've been taking notes on your pH's, TA's, yeast choices and MLB selections. Most of you are in MLF now, and I'd appreciate your thoughts on the choices you've made so far, things you wish you had done, as well as thoughts from anyone else who would like to comment.

So here's the layout. I've got 6 lugs of each of the following varietals coming, they will arrive crushed/destemmed and frozen / partially thawed in 5 gallon pails, probable 4 pails of each, no SO2 added at all. I expect to get 12-13 gallons of wine from each varietal.

Lanza-Musto Cabernet Sauvignon Clone 169
Lanza-Musto Cabernet Sauvignon Koch
Lanza-Musto Petit Sirah
Lanza-Musto Merlot

Standard fare upon arrival, thaw and put each varietal into its own fermentation vessel, make any needed adjustments, dose with Lallzyme, sulfite lightly, then pitch yeast, no real issues there.

Left to my own devices, I tend to be a creature of habit which would have me pitching BM4X4 and using VP41. I've used different yeasts, but no MLB other that VP41. My nutrient protocol is for AF and MLF is solid, so not really looking for info there.

I am curious to hear what you think about yeast choices for each of the 4 varietals, as well as what MLB culture you have used or would recommend.

My go-to yeast on the Cab (and a few other varietals) has been BM4X4, but it wasn't available to me this time around and I went with MT. So far, so good with that. For the Petit Sirah, I've only used D254. I've done it 3 times and have been happy with the results each time. I haven't done a ton of Merlot, but BM4X4 would be a good choice. There are other good ones as well. Take a look at the document linked below. On the MLB front, VP41 has typically done well for me. My Chilean wines from this spring were initially inoculated with Enoferm Beta. That was unsuccessful, but so was my subsequent attempt on these wines using VP41. There are clearly other demons at play here, but I haven't figured out which ones yet.

http://www.morebeer.com/public/pdf/wyeastpair.pdf

My go-to yeast on the Cab (and a few other varietals) has been BM4X4, but it wasn't available to me this time around and I went with MT. So far, so good with that. For the Petit Sirah, I've only used D254. I've done it 3 times and have been happy with the results each time. I haven't done a ton of Merlot, but BM4X4 would be a good choice. There are other good ones as well. Take a look at the document linked below. On the MLB front, VP41 has typically done well for me. My Chilean wines from this spring were initially inoculated with Enoferm Beta. That was unsuccessful, but so was my subsequent attempt on these wines using VP41. There are clearly other demons at play here, but I haven't figured out which ones yet.

http://www.morebeer.com/public/pdf/wyeastpair.pdf

Thanks Jim, I appreciate your input. Like you, I've been really happy with the BM4x4, but don't want to get stuck in a rut. FWIW, my Chileans (CabSav and Malbec) have been inoculated twice with VP41 with little progress, if any. Only exception is the Cab/Malbec blend, which is complete, go figure.............

Thanks Jim, I appreciate your input. Like you, I've been really happy with the BM4x4, but don't want to get stuck in a rut. FWIW, my Chileans (CabSav and Malbec) have been inoculated twice with VP41 with little progress, if any. Only exception is the Cab/Malbec blend, which is complete, go figure.............

Are you planning to blend these wines? If so, certainly take a look at other yeasts that may bring something to the table that the BM4X4 isn't. Even if you're not blending, it may be fun. Sounds like you'll have enough to maybe split a batch to do some side by side compares.

John, if you don't want to press them all at the same time, try some AMH on the Petit Sirah, it will buy you a few days if not a week over most of the other yeasts. When I used it on my Lanza Zinfandel, it lasted twice as long as any other ferment I've ever done. It was also the coolest ferment I've done, the must temperature only raised up about 6*F above ambient. I have to admit, with that extended skin contact, the color is amazingly dark, not that you need more of that with PS. Plus the spicy character is really noticeable even in the young wine.

Are you planning to blend these wines? If so, certainly take a look at other yeasts that may bring something to the table that the BM4X4 isn't. Even if you're not blending, it may be fun. Sounds like you'll have enough to maybe split a batch to do some side by side compares.

I don't have any preconceived notions about blending, that'll come somewhere down the road when they've finished some barrel aging, but it's an option that is definitely open. In the end, I'd definitely like to end up with some of each unblended varietal, and a blend or two.

Splitting some batches in half with different yeasts is doable, just need to get a couple more 20 gallon fermenters.

Latest posts

Back