Mosti Mondiale Frozen from George

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wish I was close enough to George to go pick it up! I've heard of Pardo but not checked it out - maybe I'll be ready for that next year! Thanks

ibglowin said:
This year I am buying from George (and driving to Dallas to pick up) because of the poor harvest down South in my own state. Next year I should be fine. I am working hard to cultivate friendships and networking with the local commercial winemakers so I hope to move up in the wine making food chain so to speak!
smiley36.gif

Mike,
I've ordered 6 lugs of the fresh grapes from George this year too. Let us Dallas-area folks know what day you are coming to Dallas, so we can meet you and make sure you're not actually "glowin".
smiley17.gif

I will be there the day the truck arrives (hopefully that Friday early in the AM). I need to crush and de-stem to drop some bulk down and make room for an ice bomb for each Brute and then get on the road ASAP.

Long 650 mile drive back to the cool country......
smiley6.gif

ok, I got a question ... since there will be grapes (9 lbs.) I guessing there will be a little pressing involved. Is this correct? How much volume do you think 9 lb. of grapes would be? 1 to 2 gallons?

The directions are listed HERE but is says nothing about MLF. Wouldn't this be a good recommendation?

Never mind ... I found this in addition items needed ... just not real good instructions ... not like I would follow them anyways
smiley2.gif

Potassium Meta-bisulfite (K-Meta)
Fining agents
Oak cubes, oak chips or oak spirals
Maloactic Bacteria
SO2 (Sulfur Dioxide) Test Kit
Malic Acid Test Kit
pH Test Kit

Rick this is a completely new product for Mosti and I don't think its the same as any of those on that list you linked to.

I suspect this could use a MLF as even George has it (MLF) listed in his Sonoma Edition instructions.

I would plan on it if you did order a pail. Its not rocket science, just something new to try which you have excelled at this first year for sure!

It sounds like not much more than a grape pack included with many of the higher end kits. Just punch it down daily and then squeeze it like crazy with your hands when you pull it out at the end of primary. If by chance they are floating free then you can gather them up and put them into a muslin bag of sorts and squeeze them.

rhoffart said:
ok, I got a question ... since there will be grapes (9 lbs.) I guessing there will be a little pressing involved. Is this correct? How much volume do you think 9 lb. of grapes would be? 1 to 2 gallons?

ibglowin said:
It sounds like not much more than a grape pack included with many of the higher end kits. Just punch it down daily and then squeeze it like crazy with your hands when you pull it out at the end of primary. If by chance they are floating free then you can gather them up and put them into a muslin bag of sorts and squeeze them.

rhoffart said:

Oh come on ... I need to build something ... a mini press ???
smiley1.gif

ibglowin said:
Rick this is a completely new product for Mosti and I don't think its the same as any of those on that list you linked to.

I suspect this could use a MLF as even George has it (MLF) listed in his Sonoma Edition instructions.

I would plan on it if you did order a pail. Its not rocket science, just something new to try which you have excelled at this first year for sure!

Yea, I'm going to call George tomorrow ... he has that link on his sale page and it's a little misleading. It doesn't talk about the grapes or MLF ... I haven't pulled the trigger yet but the only question at this point is going to be 2 or 3 pails?

So anybody get a kit? I got he Zin and it is close to fermented out. Really tart right now and the MM instructions say to add ascorbic acid. Is this necessary?

Most kits come with 5GM of Sulfite which is the only antioxidant supplied. This kit comes with 4GM of Sulfite and 1GM of Ascorbic acid or Vitamin C, also an antioxidant or preservative so yes, it should be added or you would need to add an extra gram of Sulfite powder to make up for the difference.

I wonder why they are replacing 1 g of sulfite with ascorbic acid. I use ascorbic acid prefermentation on all my light wines to aid in antioxidation but to not hinder fermentation as much as sulfites do and to add this after fermentation? Must be some reasoning and Id love to here it!

My frozen kit (Mosti Sonoma Edition) came with nothing, just bucket full of frozen must, supposedly acid adjusted ahead of time and inoculated with yeast, but theinstructionssay to add ascorbic acid along with k-meta in one of the steps. My wine is really tart right now, so adding more acid seems counter productive to me.

I am wondering if they meant citric acid as that would strengthen the effects of the sulfite but Im not sure ascorbic will do that. I dont think ascorbic acid will up the ta on your wine like you are thinking, acid blend or citric acid will raise it a little though but at 1 gram probably not much.

Does anyone have any tasting notes on Sonoma yet and is anyone ordering again this year?

Isn't it great when your name is an icon - Elvis - Napolean - The Hulk - George. And everyone knows your name. Hey, that could be a great tag line for a song.

Latest posts

Back