fresh pressed juice

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mike Im not sure what it means to ferment to dry. I think it means don't add sugar during first stage of fermentation. I have corn sugar do I add that and an fpack and if I add sugar how much? Never made wine from fresh juice only have kits.

Ok just read some post on Ferment to dry. So Tuesday I added pectic enzyme and this morning I added yeast nutrient and yeast. So over the next week or so I will cont. To check gravity. I'm I on the right track?

Basically you have your starting SG. You will want to add a simple syrup (sugar disolved in warm water/wine) to bring SG to 1.085. Ferment to dry means allow sg to go to 1.000 or lower. I usually do this in the primary. Once you achieve 1.010 you can transfer to a carboy to allow to ferment to dry. When you have the same SG 3 days in a row, fermentation is likely complete. At this point you can stabilize with Kmeta and Sorbate. Wait a week then you can backsweeten with a simple syrup, an fpac, or both. You primary fermentation will likely take 7-10 days depending on temp. After transferring to carboy you will want to rack about every 30 days or so.

Doug how do I know how much sugar to use? If I understand you correct I don't add sugar until fermenting is over?

Hi Jackie,

What Doug is saying, with the SG you now have, you need to raise it to 1.085 now. You may be confusing "raising the SG" with "back sweetening" which is taking a dry (i.e. no sweetness) wine to semi-sweet or sweet. This latter process is done after fermentation is complete and after the wine has been stabilized with Potassium Sorbate.

Simple syrup (it's really simple) is made from two parts sugar and one part water. Put the water in an enameled or stainless steel pot, add the sugar and stir, apply the heat to dissolve the sugar, but do not boil it. Allow the syrup to cool and add it directly to the wine and stir it in well. Now, as to how much to add, there is a way to calculate the amount but a more direct way is to add about a half cup, stir and take a hydrometer reading. See how much the SG has increased and that will be the approximate increase per half cup.

BTW, I just made some last night and four cups of sugar and two cups of water yields right at 1 quart of syrup. You can store the unused syrup in the refrigerator for about a month.

Ohh I see. But I already started the primary fermentation. Can I still ad the simple syrup? Does that help with fernmantation? Is that why it's added?

Your adding the sugar now to bring up the alcohol content. The grapes were not very high in sugar to begin with. Make the additions now and take your readings after stirring it up well.

Last edited:
Take a reading specific gravity reading now. Assuming fermentation has started I would not shoot for a target SG of over 1.070-1.075. Make a simple syrup using the recommended amount by WINECALC. Add that to your existing juice slowly and stir gently but completely and re-check sg several times until you get to your target.

The reasoning for saying to stay at 1.070-1.075 is I would rather have a lower alcohol wine than rocket fuel.

Ohh I see. But I already started the primary fermentation. Can I still ad the simple syrup? Does that help with fernmantation? Is that why it's added?

In this case, I would use the calculated amount. Do the calculation as though you are just starting out and the SG is what you read originally, 1.060 I think. You can still add the simple syrup. It does not "help" with fermentation, it adds more sugar to be converted to alcohol. With the original SG that you had (1.060) you Alcohol by Volume (ABV) would end up around 8%. Increasing the SG to 1.085 would give you an ABV of about 11-11.5%.

In this case, I would use the calculated amount. Do the calculation as though you are just starting out and the SG is what you read originally, 1.060 I think. You can still add the simple syrup. It does not "help" with fermentation, it adds more sugar to be converted to alcohol. With the original SG that you had (1.060) you Alcohol by Volume (ABV) would end up around 8%. Increasing the SG to 1.085 would give you an ABV of about 11-11.5%.

Good catch, I didn't see the original 1.060 sg posted. For 5 gallons of wine to go from 1.060 to 1.085 sg you would need 2.83 lbs of sugar which roughly translates to 5 1/2 cups of sugar.

Guys thanks so much!! I've been making wine from kits which is easy. Just follow direction and it's all good. I'm so excited to be making wine from fresh juice. I have learned a lot from you guys!!

Jackie, I just want to be sure you know about L'uva Bella down in Lowellville, near Youngstown. You can get juice there in 23 liter (6 gallon) buckets in a wide range of varieties for $45-50. Looks like Lowellville is about an hour and a half from you.

Latest posts

Back