fresh cranberry wine started

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wood1954

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Was Up North (Presque Isle, WI) last week and picked up 15#s of fresh cranberries for $15. Started the process sunday night by running them thru the Kitchen Aid with the slicer blade. Added 4 gallons of water and found out fresh cranberries float.
Added 12#s sugar, 2 bananas, 4 tsp pectic enzyme, 1.5 grams SO2, staggering 4 tsps of nutrients. The PH after 36 hours was 2.9 so i added 20 grams of calcium carbonate and the PH came up to 3.5 24 hours later. I haven't tested since then. I assume it will drop some more as the acid is leached out of the berries. I plan on racking after 6 days and adding bentonite at that time. Currently i can tell the enzyme and yeast have really softened up the berries and i have a really nice ferment going, no off smells at all. One bucket has RC-212 and the other has EC-1118 simply because that was all i had on hand and hopefully this is my last batch of the season. Any suggestions to improve this recipe would be welcome.

I don't know how strong flavored fresh cranberries are, but seems like you mite be a little short on the amount of berries. Let us know how it goes so others can know how many berries to use. Good luck with it, Arne

Wisconsin has some of the biggest and best cranberries, he may be ok in the poundage....per gallon..
Looks like a good start...I would bet it turns out ok...Let us know. LIke Arne said.

stir you must twice daily to increase flavor in wine. also monitor your ferment daily with hydrometer. Cranberries can take a long time to finish. I had one that took almost one month to finish. I would suggest adding some more nutrient at about sg=1030 especially if ferment slows down. Only 1 gram per gallon is required.

Strained the must today, it appears i got 2.5 gallons of juice from the berries for a total of 6.5 gallons of wine before racking. More than i thought:h. It looks and smells very good. Added bentonite and another teaspoon of DAP and put it under airlock at SG 1030.

15 pounds of berries to five galleons of wine makes a strongly flavored wine. You will be able to make a seconds wine out of the used berries. 2-3 galleons worth at least. Toss a few rasberries in the seconds wine for a truely fabulouse wine:)
Cranberrie wine is the slowest fermenter ever! Well worth the wait however.

15 pounds of berries to five galleons of wine makes a strongly flavored wine. You will be able to make a seconds wine out of the used berries. 2-3 galleons worth at least. Toss a few rasberries in the seconds wine for a truely fabulouse wine:)
Cranberrie wine is the slowest fermenter ever! Well worth the wait however.

This sounds like something I will be doing shortly. Thanks.

RR

Darn. Lost seconds!

Seconds wines can be my favarite! Well worth a try! Enjoy it

update on cranberry wine

This is definitely something to make every year. Have had a couple bottles and it is really smooth with good flavor. The wine cleared really well, smells great, almost too easy to drink when served chilled.

I will often make seconds with my cranberries, if nothing more than to blend it with the first run, if the first is too strong. Lets trade a bottle of cranberry to compare them! I'm just south of you. I've got '09, '10, '11, '12, & '13 bulk. The 2010 was made from canned berries.

Back