RJ Spagnols French Grenache Syrah

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kat50496

Reaction score
Ordered this from George yesterday - can't find reference to it on the forum and just wondering if anyone has any experience with this one. Thanks

Cellar Classic Winery Series? Should be pretty good. Enjoy.

RJS has some mighty fine kits. Haven't tried that one, so tag, "you are it" to tell us how it turns out.

RJS has some mighty fine kits. Haven't tried that one, so tag, "you are it" to tell us how it turns out.

OK, I can do that!

Funny how in these times of instant gratification and information overload, this is the only forum membership willing to wait a year or more for a response:)

Sorry, but some personal issues have kept me away from wine related things over the past couple of months. But regarding the WS Grenache Syrah, I haven't given it a real taste yet.

It is currently just under 10 months (I calculate age from stabilization date). I generally don't do a proper tasting until 1 year. I did however taste it at about 6 months and found it to be young, but with real potential. I will give it a proper tasting over the holidays and promise to report back

I too really like Rhone blends (primarily southern styles), and in that vein I have made the Chateau du Pays from the CC Showcase series. So much I made a second batch in April.

Surprisingly I opened a bottle of WE's Selection Vieux Chateau du Roi the other night and at 16 months it is really good. Not quite the mouthfeel of a grape pack wine, but does capture the Cdp style very nicely. I am pleasantly surprised at how good it is and will be a value wine in my rotation going forward.

OK, I finally opened this guy last night, and I realized I owe my notes on this one, so here goes:

I’ll start by saying that one of my favorite bargain Northern Rhone Blends is the “M. Chapoutier Cotes du Rhone Belleruche”. This is usually readily available at several grocery and wine stores in my area and retails for $12 - $16, depending on location and vintage. This is the wine that I am comparing the RJS WS Grenache Syrah.
The RJS compares nicely in flavor and texture, both are a nice garnet red (thanks to the Syrah skins included in the kit) with aromas of red berry fruit. It has some herbal notes with generous dark berry fruit flavors. The Belleruche, even for a value priced wine, has a fairly long spicy finish. This is pretty much where the RJS doesn’t quite compare – like most of my bigger reds – even though the aroma, fruit and tannins compare nicely with value priced commercial wines, they just tend to “disappear” on finish. I assume this is because I don’t use a barrel and therefore do not achieve the concentration that some commercial wines do.
Overall though, I will be making the RJS WS Grenache Syrah again. At one year (from stabilization date), it is very nice, goes well with food, and presents a very nice representation of a value priced Cotes du Rhone blend.

Latest posts

Back