Freezing blackberry juice

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Casper

Reaction score
For my next blackberry wine I want to freeze 2 L of the juice before adding the yeast to sweet the wine at the fining stage.
<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />
- When should I sample the juice; before putting the ingredients (Acid, Pectic enzyme, campden tablets) or after?

- If before should I add something (Meta) in prior putting in the freezer or should I boil it?

- Is it better to leave all the ingredients without yeast for 24 hours with blackberry skin before I sample?
I know it is a lot of questions but I only have one shot a year to make blackberry wine I don't want to make a mistake.
smiley5.gif

I made a pear wine, and added about two liters of juice to it in order to sweeten it up to.

I would add some potassium metabisulphite and potassium sorbate to the unfermented wine prior to freezing. it will help it keep better, plus the sorbate will prevent it from re-fermenting when you add it to the fermented juice/wine.

In fact, I would plan on putting enough of the chemicals in for the whole batch. This way it would keep those two liters in very good shape, plus you won't have to stir in ingredients into two different 'batches'.

I would add the skins and the yeast sooner. You may want to let it set for a day to verify the acid readings you get are correct, as well as the sugar level. But I wouldn't do it for the skins. If you want to extract more tannin from the skins, leave them in a few days after fermentation finishes. That way the alcohol will help to ensure the wine stays good.

Just my 2 cents, I've nenver done that type of wine, but just figure it would be that way from what research I have done.

Good luck let us know how it goes.

Thanks for the advices, good ideal to put chemical for the whole batch.

Should I add more sugar in my 2 L?<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

Blackberry wine is very good and better if you blend with another wine. I blend mine with Viognier (10 %)

That depends on how sweet you want it to be. You can do some
research and figure out. </span>You need to
figure your wine will probably ferment to .998 SG, your other wine will be
about 1.500 S.G. (guessing). So if you want your wine to taste like a .105 you
will have to add the 1.5 SG to sweeten the
</span>.998.

When you figure out how sweet you want your wine to be (like
1.05) you can use this formula to figure out how much of </span>the sweeter wine you will need. If you do
not have enough you can add sugar to the un-fermented wine

S.G * A(amount a) </span>+ </span>S.G * B(amount B) </span>= S.G(desired)*(A+B)</span></pre></span></pre>This is how I figured it out on my pear wine. </span></pre>

OK I want my wine to be medium dry so 1.03, my last Blackberry wine SG was .998
So
<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />
.998 * 23 L + (X(S.G.) * 2 L) = 1.03 * (23L + 2L)

22.954 + 2X = 25.75

-25.75 + 22.954 = -2X

-2.796 = -2X (S.G. for 2 L)

SG = 1.398 for 2 L

last time I did math was 20 years ago.
smiley18.gif

Thanks again

Casper,

Let me get this straight in my head. The 2L of juice will be used to sweeten the larger batch back up after it's all done fermenting?

Curt said:
Casper,

Let me get this straight in my head. The 2L of juice will be used to sweeten the larger batch back up after it's all done fermenting?

Yes

Good idea. Looks like you have it under control then. Have fun.

Latest posts

Back