Free equipment

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdmyers

wine maker in progress
Reaction score
Just a thought for any newbs or anybody else. When you start making multiple batches you can get free primary fermentors from the bakery at you local grocery store. They get icing in food grade plastic buckets of all different sizes

I always keep assorted sizes around for samll primaries, storing corks and all sorts of duties around the winery. Like you said, they are food grade and stackable. Just be sure to pick up the lids for them also.

I can't find any that are bigger than 3 gallons around here. Frosting comes in those. If you need a 5-gallon and have a few spare ones, they are only like $3 at Home Depot and are food grade.

I can't find any that are bigger than 3 gallons around here. Frosting comes in those. If you need a 5-gallon and have a few spare ones, they are only like $3 at Home Depot and are food grade.
Are the $3 ones food grade? I thought they were usually orange at HD, and that orange wasn't food grade. Of course, I live in Canada, so YMMV.

BTW, ice cream parlours are a good source of smaller plastic primaries too. One fish & chip place we like to visit has lots available from their ice cream window in the summer. Not so often this time of year.

Steve

Last edited:
Walmart and Sams in the Butler area won't give them out,,they said they aren't allowed. :m

Walmart and Sams in the Butler area won't give them out,,they said they aren't allowed. :m

That must be because of some local law, which I don't doubt exists. Here in Colorado Springs, they will load you up with them, including 5 gallon buckets with lids that have the rubber gaskets. Saves them from having to tot them out to the dumpster. Same for Target, but they haven't had the 5-gallon when I have asked; plenty 2 and 3 gallon, though.

I found some food grade buckets at Lowes. Similar to Home Depot. $3.24 per bucket and $2.19 per lid. You need to be careful though. The employee tried to sell me regular buckets that were tagged as food grade by mistake.

Latest posts

Back