frascati and verdicchio

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laxmaster1

Junior
Reaction score
this week im due to receive my order of grape juice, including frascati and verdicchio italian grape juice..........the verdicchio juice comes from verdicchio grape obviously, but the frascati, im assuming, is a blend of malvasia grape and whatever other grapes are used for frascati (and coming from italy, who knows what the hell is in the mix)....has anyone on the forum worked with these before? any tips on yeast selection/processes for these particular varieties? thx, paul

I have not made Frascati but I did make Verdicchio and we are very pleased with it. From my records, I have the following:

11-19-11 Started, 2 ea 6 gallon buckets of Mosto Bello (from Italy) juice, juice temperature 55 degrees F, in two 7.9 gallon fermenters. Employed space heater.
11-20-11 Pitched yeast (one packet in each fermenter, Lalvin EC1118), juice temperature 72 degrees F, Ambient temperature 65 dgrees F, 75% RH
11-21-11 Initial SG 1.096. Fermentation slow.
11-23-11 Fermentation steady and active, wine temperature 75 degrees F.
11-29-11 Racked to carboys, SG 1.020
12-15-11 Racked to carboys, stabilized and cleared SG 0.992
12-29-11 Racked to carboys for bulk aging SG 0.992
4-21-12 Bottled 51 ea 750 ml bottles, estimated ABV 13-14%

As far as Frascati is concerned, I have never made it but we like it particularly with fish dishes. It is from the Frascati region of Italy just south of Rome. Frascati wine is mostly (70% for the DOC designation) Malvasia Bianca or Trebbiano juice blended with various other whites.

Good luck with your wine.

Latest posts

Back