Juice Buckets

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justsipn

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK, I'm wanting to find some good and unique Italian wines to make. One of them that I am considering is Nero d'Avola. I've found a source but, they only come in juice buckets. And, the dealer is about 2,000 miles away and claims I can not order it on line due to needing to be refrigerated (I think).

Are there any ways around this?

Also, how does a juice bucket differ from a wine kit? I'm assuming the juice bucket is, just that....just the juice. So, I would buy yeast, oak...etc separately? Would that be correct? What other differences are there?

Oh yeah....and hope you had a Merry Christmas.

Last edited:
Wine kits are a product that has had water removed to increase the sugar content will above the level where bacteria can survive, they might also be pasteurized. They are always acid balanced to a good level. As you note, you get everything provided to produce drinkable wine. Juice buckets are just juice, often they are at about 21-22 brix, sometimes they are acid balanced, sometimes they have yeast added. You get to pick oak, yeast, tannin, to do mlf or not, no instructions are generally provided.

Nobody will ship a juice bucket to you, unless you purchase enough to fill a full pallet (22 buckets, maybe) and they come via a refrigerator truck.

There is one company (perhaps more) that will ship frozen buckets to a few places winegrapesdirect.

Wine kits are a product that has had water removed to increase the sugar content will above the level where bacteria can survive, they might also be pasteurized. They are always acid balanced to a good level. As you note, you get everything provided to produce drinkable wine. Juice buckets are just juice, often they are at about 21-22 brix, sometimes they are acid balanced, sometimes they have yeast added. You get to pick oak, yeast, tannin, to do mlf or not, no instructions are generally provided.

Nobody will ship a juice bucket to you, unless you purchase enough to fill a full pallet (22 buckets, maybe) and they come via a refrigerator truck.

There is one company (perhaps more) that will ship frozen buckets to a few places winegrapesdirect.
So, if I live in central Nebraska without a wine making store/dealer around me, im sorry out of luck.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a really good Nero d’Avola kit?

So, if I live in central Nebraska without a wine making store/dealer around me, im sorry out of luck.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a really good Nero d’Avola kit?

There might be a winemaking shop in Kansas City that brings in juice buckets. Our maybe one in Minneapolis, if that is closer and I understand neither of those is probably close. Another thought might be somewhere in Denver. But pretty much you are out of luck for juice buckets.

Texas Brewing Co will ship juice buckets. I don't know if they have Nero d'Avoa. got a Montepulciano from them. Musto Grape will also ship but they are on East cost shipping cost would be higher.

I got the Mosti Mondiale Nero D'Avola kit this year from Texas Brewing. But they are all out of that kit. Yes, it is a kit, because it has the yeast, the nutrient, and all of the other chemicals/additives. But the kit contains a full 6 gallons of juice, it hasn't been concentrated. And it does not need to be refrigerated.

My first two Nero D'Avola kits I bought were from Musto Wine Grape Company. The website shows "out of stock" but that is a 2 year old message, so they may actually have some.

Nero D-Avola , Original All Juice (23L)

I got the Mosti Mondiale Nero D'Avola kit this year from Texas Brewing. But they are all out of that kit. Yes, it is a kit, because it has the yeast, the nutrient, and all of the other chemicals/additives. But the kit contains a full 6 gallons of juice, it hasn't been concentrated. And it does not need to be refrigerated.

My first two Nero D'Avola kits I bought were from Musto Wine Grape Company. The website shows "out of stock" but that is a 2 year old message, so they may actually have some.

Thanks, I’ll have to check that out.

Did you like the Nero d’Avola?

In the food industry I have had vendors ship pails of product sent to me. It isn’t hard to get it to central Nebraska! It typically is in a styrofoam box with dry ice in it and comes via FedEx. Operating the pilot plant I have purchased the dry ice/ coolers and sent cubitainers of food sample to potential customers. No you are not out of luck. Yes it is expensive. How badly do you want it?

In the food industry I have had vendors ship pails of product sent to me. It isn’t hard to get it to central Nebraska! It typically is in a styrofoam box with dry ice in it and comes via FedEx. Operating the pilot plant I have purchased the dry ice/ coolers and sent cubitainers of food sample to potential customers. No you are not out of luck. Yes it is expensive. How badly do you want it?
Thanks. Sounds like more than what I would want to spend. If I can get it in a kit, I’ll probably settle for that.

For future reference, if you are willing to drive to the Minneapolis area, Midwest Supplies does have spring and fall juice buckets. You have to be available to pick them up on the day they come in. If you might be interested, sign up for emails on midwestsupplies.com or just keep an eye on the site March or April for spring reservations and August or September for fall reservations. This past spring, the Chilean Gewurz I ordered was ready for pickup on May 6th.

Did the juice from these kits come from Sicily or somewhere else? If possible, I would like to find some from Sicily.

Thanks,

Did the juice from these kits come from Sicily or somewhere else? If possible, I would like to find some from Sicily.

Thanks,

It says country of origin is Italy. I don't know if that grape is grown in regions other than Sicily.

Last edited:
There’s a couple different companies in Denver that bring in grapes and juice buckets in the fall. No Nero D’Avola that I recall but if it’s closer to you, I can send you their contact info.

Please do send their info. Maybe they will be able to get it. Denver is definitely close to me.

Hello All,
We are new to this group - and making mostly red wines from juice in Denver for the past few years. It is a bit different making wine here - the plus is that we don't have to worry about keeping the carbons cool :)
Never made wine from a kit and so I wonder how it compares?

There’s a couple different companies in Denver that bring in grapes and juice buckets in the fall. No Nero D’Avola that I recall but if it’s closer to you, I can send you their contact info.
Hi:
I'm in Denver area and would appreciate this info as well. Thanks.

I sent the info, @Mike Parisi and @memnosine hope you both got it. There’s more of us on the blog from the area than I thought. I’m interested in meeting new vintners and exchanging wines. Let me know if that interests anyone from the area.

Latest posts

Back