Forgot to add sweet reserve

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kuziwk

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I just finished a rose, instead of the package labeled "sweet reserve" I used four ounces of glycerin to give body and a very slight sweetness. At any rate my wife is saying that the wine lacks flavor (I thought it was filter and bottle shock) and she was asking if the sweet reserve had and flavor additives into it...I said no as I have never seen this in a kit. It got me thinking though that it wouldn't hurt to open it up and check. Once I did it seems the sweet reserve tastes like straw berries, so I'm assuming it's clarified wine must. At any rate the rose is all bottled, is it worth it to take it out of the bottle to add in the sweet reserve? I would prefer to add it in to taste in a decanter with each bottle, however the issue is I'm pretty sure that what I'm assuming is wine must won't last very long it I keep opening and closing it to put into each bottle as they are slowly opened. Also if I were to add it in now, since I already added about four ounces of glycerin it might be too sweet.

Last edited:
* Your reserve will be stable if you freeze it, you may wind up with a slush that can squeeze into the ullage.
* I have uncorked and added 10 ml extra flavor into the ullage then recorked, NO turbulance! If you have a small ullage you can pull some out with a syringe (from the pharmacy for kids meds) or turkey baster. I can cheat though and go to 1/8 inch ullage since I am vacuum corking.
Might be worth trying a few bottles. Good luck:ib

* Your reserve will be stable if you freeze it, you may wind up with a slush that can squeeze into the ullage.
* I have uncorked and added 10 ml extra flavor into the ullage then recorked, NO turbulance! If you have a small ullage you can pull some out with a syringe (from the pharmacy for kids meds) or turkey baster. I can cheat though and go to 1/8 inch ullage since I am vacuum corking.
Might be worth trying a few bottles. Good luck:ib
Yeah so basically weigh what they gave in the kit and put equal amounts in each bottle? Or dump into a carboy and and rebottle. I guess the main concern is that it would be too sweet but I won't know unless I try it.

Latest posts

Back