Foam

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chris400

Reaction score
Had a foam cap that covered about 3/4 of my primary this evening...when i stir it it went away and all was normal ....should i worry or is this a sign of something (yeast stress maybe)??

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Wine Making mobile app

It is fine. That is a sign of a good fermentation going. What are you making?

Added the other half of my yeast nutrient this morning at a SG of 1.052 ......checked it this afternoon to stir it and it had a good head of foam and was going strong enough to make its own visible swirls in my bucket...hope it is were i can rack it in a day or two .....im looking to rack at a SG of 1.020 to 1.010....... am i on track?

Added the other half of my yeast nutrient this morning at a SG of 1.052 ......checked it this afternoon to stir it and it had a good head of foam and was going strong enough to make its own visible swirls in my bucket...hope it is were i can rack it in a day or two .....im looking to rack at a SG of 1.020 to 1.010....... am i on track?

Yes you are on track.

Get yourself Fermcap, it'll keep the foam down.

Tom, if you use Fermcap, do you know if you need to use a clearing agent to get the wine clear?

Just curious because the five buckets I got from Walkers, they had put a deforming into the juice and all of them are having a rough time clearing.

I dont think it bad enough for that it was just a thin layer maybe 1/8 "

Julie, I just bought Fermcap recently. The manufacturer says it falls into the lees by itself. (I, of course, have no way of knowing if that is true or not.)

Julie, I just bought Fermcap recently. The manufacturer says it falls into the lees by itself. (I, of course, have no way of knowing if that is true or not.)

thanks Paul, let me know how well it works.

So Julie,,, That bucket of Brianna must have had some of that in it because it would not clear for me either. Tried some Sparkelloid and it helped a bit but not entirely. Had it outside during that first cold snap with no result, so after about 3 weeks I decided to bottle. Looked at it about 4 days later and "GOOOOOOLLLLLLLYYYYY"! Crystal clear with more junk in the bottles than I care for, so I'll just have to pour slowly.... Maybe have think about filtering those ones from now on

So Julie,,, That bucket of Brianna must have had some of that in it because it would not clear for me either. Tried some Sparkelloid and it helped a bit but not entirely. Had it outside during that first cold snap with no result, so after about 3 weeks I decided to bottle. Looked at it about 4 days later and "GOOOOOOLLLLLLLYYYYY"! Crystal clear with more junk in the bottles than I care for, so I'll just have to pour slowly.... Maybe have think about filtering those ones from now on

I don't have any plans on bottling soon, at least another 3 months from now. And I will superklear, to be honest, superklear seems to work better than sparkelloid.

thanks Paul, let me know how well it works.

Oh, it worked pretty well. I used BM45 on a recent batch of Rosso Fortissimo, and Boatboy warned me it may foam. Indeed, it did, with a foamy head about 2.5 inches thick. A few drops of Fermcap dispersed the foam from the top. After a couple of days, the foam had regrown a bit, but it was manageable. No evidence of the Fermcap was ever visible.

I also have a question about the foam. I have about a quarter to a half inch of foam that formed on top of a cheeky monkey Pinot Gris in the primary fermentor on about day 4. When it is time to rack into my carboy should I be trying to avoid siphoning the foam or does it matter??

Hi to everyone btw as this is my first post. This site is just filled with great advice and knowledge!

Back