Foam removal

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcbrown73

Clueless Winemaker
Reaction score
Hi all,

I started fermenting a WineExperts Shiraz and I opened it to stir it the next day after I started the fermentation. That was fine, but there was a lot of foam up near the top. I pushed it back into the must and finished stirring.

The next day, I open the closet (that's where I store it) and noticed it blew the airlock off (exploded all over the wall too :/)

Anyhow, there was foam and stuff in the airlock, so I'm guessing that's what clogged it up and cause it to blow the whole airlock cork out.

So my question is, should I remove that foam each time I stir it? I noticed some of it has a lot of the french oak powder in it.

Next time I think I'm going to cover it with a clear plastic bag on top of it. (not sealed at the bottom so the SO2 can get out.) I'm going to have to repaint my closet as it now has purple wine spots everywhere when it exploded the airlock off. :(

Thanks!
David

Is this the WE Eclipse Shiraz kit? What size primary bucket are you using? I've made the Eclipse Shiraz twice and have had some foam, but nothing that ever threatened my airlock or the top of the 8 gallon fermenting bucket. The lid on my fermenter doesn't close, so I never get a sealed container which obviously helps release the CO2.

My winemaking kit is the Master Vintner's kit with the six gallon carboy and big mouth bubbler. The wine is the Wine Expert Eclipse Barbossa Valley Shiraz.

Thanks for the tip. I sure wish they had said that hah.

Agree with Dan. If worst comes to worst, you can use a surfactant called "FermCap" that basically eliminates the foam. But, really, no need to do this if you just lay the lid on the bucket and put a towel under the bucket, if needed.

My winemaking kit is the Master Vintner's kit with the six gallon carboy and big mouth bubbler.
I'm also using the Big Mouth Bubbler as my primary fermenter, and have wondered about the lack of headspace. So far, so good for me.

I use an 8 gallon bucket.I leave it on the floor so I can get in and stir it. I use a loose lid until im ready for secondary into a 6 gallon fermenting vessel and then it is airlocked and put on the belt or pad to bring the temp up to 23 to 25C.

I understand the Big Mouth Bubblers are only 6.5 gallons. For the Eclipse kit with a grape pack that doesn't leave much room at all for foam during primary. As the others have said, just lay a clean towel over the top to keep bugs and dust out and you'll probably be fine. Not all kits will foam as much as others so hopefully it won't as big an issue as you go along. Back to one of your questions, I would not remove the foam as you go along, especially if it has some of the oak on it. Just stir it all back in if you can.

If you find that the kits you like are the ones with grape packs and the bubbler just isn't big enough then I highly recommend picking up the standard 7.9/8 gallon bucket for primary. Then you won't have any problems handling it all.

Thanks AZMDTed.

Can anyone recommend a bucket? I'm looking at some and people complain about the lid not sealing on some. (I don't suppose that a huge issue for fermenting based on this thread, but if I do want to seal it, I would expect it to seal) Others they want you to purchase the lid separately (what's up with that?) I definitely want one that has the gallons/liters listed on it.

Thanks in advance

As has been mentioned, you aren't very safe fermenting a 6 gallon kit with skins in a 6.5 gallon container. 7.8 gallons would be better. As far as recommending a bucket, any 7.9 gallon fermenter will do. You could also purchase a BRUTE trash can - just be sure you get a lid with it and buy one that is food grade. They have several versions and all are not food grade.

Here's one example of a 'fermenter'. But it really is just a fancy name for a plastic bucket.

http://labelpeelers.com/7-9-gallon-fermenting-bucket/

Thanks AZMDTed.

Can anyone recommend a bucket? I'm looking at some and people complain about the lid not sealing on some. (I don't suppose that a huge issue for fermenting based on this thread, but if I do want to seal it, I would expect it to seal) Others they want you to purchase the lid separately (what's up with that?) I definitely want one that has the gallons/liters listed on it.

Thanks in advance

The lids not sealing on a primary fermentation bucket is not actually an issue at all. It didn't make sense to me at first either, but the lid is really there just to keep things out, not to seal it. The yeast need oxygen during primary. And the CO2 layer that forms will ensure that too much doesn't get in. My bucket is strange in that the lid doesn't seal, but it does have an airlock grommet. So I dutifully put an airlock on the primary, not that it's functioning as an airlock but because it plugs the hole. Once the heavy fermenting action is done you move to an airlocked carboy for secondary and that's when you start limiting the oxygen. I assume the buckets you're seeing with the separate lid might be trying to save a buck or so for those who just lay a towel over the top, as many do.

Thanks AZMDTed.

Thanks in advance

Hello. I bought most of my buckets at my local home brew store, with lids, which I (never) use. I use a 5 gallon paint strainer (from Lowes) with a couple of large rubber bands, to keep out small critters like gnats, etc. Sometimes I use a shower cap (large) from Wal-Mart. Wouldn't worry about the marked gal/lit. all of mine are different. If you do (use them) double check them for accuracy. Reason for lids and not, some people want them, some do not , and of course the extra money part.

Latest posts

Back