Foam in the seconday fermentor

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdmangas

Junior
Reaction score
This is the 1st batch I have tried not from a kit and I am getting a lot of foam in the seconday fermentor ? Did I move it out of the primary fermentor to soon ?

When did you move it? How long was it in primary? What did you use to clean the carboy with?

There are several factors that can do this so please answer the above questions for us to diagnose this. If you have used Star San as a sanitizer this is most likely the answer but dont worry as that is not a bad thing as its what happens with Star San and this is perfectly acceptable. It could also be the tyoe of yeast used as some can create foam while others just sizzle more.

This is the 1st batch I have tried not from a kit and I am getting a lot of foam in the seconday fermentor ? Did I move it out of the primary fermentor to soon ?
Most importantly, what was the specific gravity? Too high, and the fermentation will continue. Resulting in bubbles/foam.

BTW, temperature too.

Steve

Anwers to questions

The carboy was cleaned with soap and water and sanitized with sodium metahisphite and stored for about 1 month. I rinsed it out with hot water and sanitized it again.

The reciepet directions called to move it in 6-7 days or SG of 1.030

The SG was 1.070 last night and 1.050 this morning

I have moved it back to the primary fermentor.

Will moving it back and forth cause issues with it turing out ?

Never go by umber of days and always go by sg. Yo are lucky if you moved it over that early that the airlock didnt blow off in carboy!

Back