Flushing headspace with co2?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morten

Reaction score
I have a little to much headspace in my corboy, I think. Is it OK to flush the headspace with co2 and let it sit like that during long time aging?

I have a little to much headspace in my corboy, I think. Is it OK to flush the headspace with co2 and let it sit like that during long time aging?
It’s commonplace to use an inert gas, like CO2, nitrogen, argon, to fill an overly sized head space. Just make sure to do it properly so that your wine is protected. There are valves, tubes and tanks that when properly connected and regularly maintained, do the job, and I’m sure someone here that is successful with this method could give you some tips. Personally, having variety in my vessel sizes, racking down, and topping up have always been my methodology.

For the past year I do not flush but pull a vacuum which removes air/ oxygen and lets CO2 bubble out of the wine. This requires having a check valve and a good seal (don’t use old/ hard corks). FLUSHING? , in theory it is good, WMT has threads on how efficient flushing is which say gases mix readily so you never get 100%. Also if you put an airlock on the CO2 will slowly leave the carboy, it would require a solid cork. ,, If this is what you have try it.
flush the headspace with co2 and let it sit like that during long time aging?
At the Vinters club one of the members showed an Amazon product which is plastic balls to fill the ullage. I have used one inch LDPE plastic rod with added weight. I like to see that ullage is low as Bobs marble suggestion.
Another option is to add marbles, must be food safe, to take up the volume. Quite possibly a headache to pull off, but definitely cheaper.

I've used CO2 to fill the top of carboys. I haven't experienced any adverse issues. I don't think there is a proper method. What I do is use a long metal tube (modified dust blower) and add the gas gently right above the wine. I blow the gas around the sides from the center thinking I am pushing out regular air and the oxygen with it. But I don't really know since air and CO2 are both clear gases. Topping off to the hilt is a surer method but I use CO2 still.

I vaguely remember a thread about marbles potentially causing stress on the glass carboy when they hit the bottom, however it seems like quite a few folks here use them. Maybe suspend them in a mesh bag, but definitely be careful where you source them.

Great suggestion about the plastic balls and plastic rod as well. Lots of great ideas here too… vacuum, flushing / sparging, use a similar wine… how much headspace are you talking about?

God only knows what's in Chinese marbles.
IMO you're being unduly optimistic. ;)

I top up with similar wine.
Ditto. I topup with a compatible wine as I am 100% positive regarding what I'm dealing with.

Inert gases mix with the present air upon addition, so you're never 100% sure what the composition is. Marbles may contain lead.

I also have a collection of smaller bottles, from 187 ml and up, and fill smaller containers, starting with the largest (in my case, 4 liter jugs).

Back