Flowers of Wine?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CowboyPhil

Reaction score
I made 6 gallons of watermelon must, to this must I added, tannin,pectic enzyme,acid bled,sugar, and 6 campden tablets, a sterilezed mesh bag and the remneants of the watermelons. When I opened the primary I found white circlular powdery like substance on the surface of the bag. Could this be Flowers of Wine, there is no yeast added yet. I just want to be sure I have not wasted the whole batch and what would have caused it.

Haven't seen that before... Did you take pictures? Could it possibly be that you didn't stir up the must enough to dissolve your additions?? I think that I would pitch yeast and let her rip to see what happens. Your campden should have taken care of any nasties................

Sounds like you didnt crush the camden tablets good enough or you have fruit in there that needs to be punched down much more often. Pics would help.

FLOWER POWER
smiley19.gif

yes that is what that is ,re rack the wine into a sanitized vessel leaving the flowers and some of the old top layer of the wine behind,add a1/8 teaspoon of kmet and let it sit,after 24hrs should be ok to do what you need to do....had this problem myself before...
smiley3.gif

Latest posts

Back