Floating raisins question.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhawk

Reaction score
I transferred 60 gallons of Cali and Italian juice to secondary thus weekend and I added 20oz of raisins to each carboy. All the carboys except for one all the raisins are floating now. The one carboy that doesn't have them floating is a blend of all 8 types of juice which I plan on using as a top off. Question is why would all the others float and only one doesn't.
Thanks

We know that the ones that float weigh less than the liquid they displace and the others weigh more than the liquid they displace. So, I would guess, assuming similar density & weight among the raisins, the density of the blended wine is less than that of the non-blended wine. Why would that be? Maybe the blend has a higher % ABV and/or less solids than the other wine?

Did you stabilize (add k-meta and/or k-sorbate) to the non-floating one? Fermentation produces CO2 and floats the raisin. K-meta may inhibit fermentation of the raisin.

I have used raisins quite a few times. Sometimes they float right away, others take 2 weeks and some never do. I have not really paid attention to the wine type. I just let them do their thing for about 2 weeks.

No I haven't stabilized yet to early. It was just odd as it caught my attention when you have 10 carboys and only one that doesn't have floating raisins.

Latest posts

Back