Floating particles in red wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crcarey

Reaction score
Near the top of my carboy I have some floating particles. I fermented until I reached a sg of .990 then racked and moved to bulk storage at a temp of 55f(2 weeks ago). Think the particles just need time to settle? I have not degassed as I was waiting few months until I got closer to bottle stage. Thoughts? Thanks in advance

ImageUploadedByWine Making1427494274.933337.jpg

Everything settles in time I don't see anything to be alarmed at looks like maybe yeast rafts floating that haven't settled yet.

I have the same thing, including the "milky way" like ring in the upper left corner of your picture. Tried to get a shot of mine, but only have my wife's camera at my disposal and couldn't override the automatic focus.

Did you use any fresh grapes in this batch? I added 5 lbs of blush table grapes to a niagara/cranberry batch I have going and I think the substance is a mixture of yeast and some of the left over grape solids from squeezing the bag in the primary that haven't sunk yet. Mine has only been in the secondary for a month and a day. Curious to see what others say as I've only been making wine since late last year.

Did you use sorbate? sometimes it leaves little floaties like that if it's not mixed well before adding

I would not worry 2 weeks is but a drop in the bucket when it comes to winemaking. I have a 5 month elderberry melomel that still has particles in suspension. as Co2 dissipates clearing facilitates. I would bet the majority of it will be on the bottom in 60 days.

Back