Flavoring Extracts

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill B

Reaction score
Hi All, I have seen the small bottles of flavoring extracts at the local supply shop and was wondering if anyone has ever used them to enhance the natural fruit flavor of wine. They come in many fruit flavors. Im mainly refering to country wines. Blueberry, Plum, peach, etc. They say that they are used for beer or wine.Whats your thoughts.

Bill

Bill,

I have used them in beer but never wine and they work very well.

Thanks Masta, I had thought of adding some to my blueberry just to get more fruit flavor. Just wondering if this is a common practice or is this a not accepted way of getting more fruit flavor from a particular fruit wine.

Bill

Hey when making wine there are no rules...so go for it!
smiley2.gif

I have used it in a weakly flavored blackberry once, but too much will cause bitterness.

I bought some "natural Elderberry" concentrate from the health food store. I have not opened the cap yet but I am curious as well. I was really searching for "blueberry" but we are limited here. I guess I will try it adding to a couple of bottles when I cork them to see the short term aging and what the taste would be. I really need more thought on this being that this is not a common practice for me as well.

Maui,

To me Elderberry is an aquired taste. I think it is ok while my wife hates it. So go slow and taste alot.

Chris

Thanks Chris. Being that I have never tasted "Elderberry" yet, I might as well use some of this concentrate and make a glass of "drinkable juice" to get familiar with it first?

I don't know about the extract, but elderberries and dried elderberries have alot of tannin, more so than wine grapes. That is one reason why elderberry wine takes so long to age properly.

I'm not too crazy about the flavor you get when you leave the berries in the must too long. About 2 days is the most I leave them in. The seeds seem to give it an off taste like the stems do. Maybe it is just my taste buds though.

Chris

I don't think it is the seeds, unless you are cracking or crushing them. The stems and leaves will definitely taint the must.

smiley5.gif

Latest posts

Back