Happy to Find This Community.........Newbie Fermenter

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rojoguio

Reaction score
Good morning I was searching for a either Blueberry/Plum or Plum/Blueberry recipe (still have lots of fruit in the freezer) and found this forum. We have almost 80 varieties of fruit trees on site along with grapes, muscadines, blueberries, persimmons, etc. Just started fermenting originally to distill (I like whiskey) but see I can make wines with a bite. The fruit flavors are important to preserve which distillation almost wipes out. Currently aging in secondaries is 2 - Meyer Lemon wines, Ponkan Mandarin, Page Mandarin, Santa Rosa Plum, Southern High Bush Hybrid Blueberry. Fruit based Country Wines is my main interest. Here is a picture, it's a little old as the Blueberry is in the secondary now.

Attachments

• Current Projects.jpg
    Current Projects.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 25
Welcome!
Wow, with such a variety of fruit the wine combinations are endless! Lucky you!
I prefer the fruit based country wine as well. It certainly is easy to become passionate about this hobby.
What's your thoughts on a percentage of plum / bluberries, I want to ferment together (I always add a box of white raisins) instead of blending because I'm lazy and have numerous other projects going.

What's your thoughts on a percentage of plum / bluberries, I want to ferment together (I always add a box of white raisins) instead of blending because I'm lazy and have numerous other projects going.
I currently have a blueberry that I call my "Waiting For Godot" blueberry because it's still fermenting and bubbling at 4 months. Crazy.
The plum/blueberry percentage is up to you. Which flavor do you want to highlight a bit more? I like plum, I'd go heavier with that. And you don't necessarily need the raisins but I guess that's a personal preference. If this is a 1 gallon batch I think a box would compete with the other fruit flavors a little.
I suggest you pose that question under the country wine topic. More people will see it there. You'll get 10 responses with 20 opinions. :)

I currently have a blueberry that I call my "Waiting For Godot" blueberry because it's still fermenting and bubbling at 4 months. Crazy.
The plum/blueberry percentage is up to you. Which flavor do you want to highlight a bit more? I like plum, I'd go heavier with that. And you don't necessarily need the raisins but I guess that's a personal preference. If this is a 1 gallon batch I think a box would compete with the other fruit flavors a little.
I suggest you pose that question under the country wine topic. More people will see it there. You'll get 10 responses with 20 opinions. :)
Got it, thanks. This will be 3 finished gallons. Make a 4.5 gallon including fruit to give me some to top up with to put in the fridge.

A good option is to ferment them separately and blend back together when they’re 99% finished. That way you can taste the differences different ratios provide.

Great. The Broke Spoke Bar. The bar made famous by Brett Favre?
Thanks for the reply.

Latest posts

Back