Flavor Pac

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mcamnl

Reaction score
I read through the thread on how to make an F-Pac and I think I have a handle on it. I just want to make sure if my understanding is correct.
I used 35lbs of blackberries initially. I have 10lbs sitting in my freezer.
In a pot I am going to thaw and mash while heating. A little unsure at what point I strain the pulp out but when things look nice and juiced, I will strain out the pulp then reduce the remaining juice. After secondary I only added sulfite. So I will rack to my bucket, add sorbate and reduced juice. At this point, can I add clarifier too or should I wait a bit? I am planning on sweetening a little but not till I am closer to bottling.

Does this sound about right?

You don't want to add your clarifier yet, add your sorbate make sure your f-pac has cooled to room temp before adding you can also add some pectic enzyme when you make your f-pac this will help pull the juice out and also help reduce pectic haze. you can also sweeten at this point too. Let this all sit for a couple of weeks as you will have sediment from your f-pac. you may end up racking 1-2 more times. add your clarifier at one of those rackings.

Usually i add 1/2 tsp per gallon. Did you add any in the beginning?

If it was added in the beginning then id only add bout a 1/4tsp to the f-pac.

I read through the thread on how to make an F-Pac and I think I have a handle on it. I just want to make sure if my understanding is correct.
I used 35lbs of blackberries initially. I have 10lbs sitting in my freezer.
In a pot I am going to thaw and mash while heating. A little unsure at what point I strain the pulp out but when things look nice and juiced, I will strain out the pulp then reduce the remaining juice. After secondary I only added sulfite. So I will rack to my bucket, add sorbate and reduced juice. At this point, can I add clarifier too or should I wait a bit? I am planning on sweetening a little but not till I am closer to bottling.

Does this sound about right?

Once the wine is dry(.990) for a few days you can add k-meta and sorbate. Wait a few days and then add f-pac and PE.
In a week taste. If flavor is good back sweeten to your taste and clarify.

Sounds good.
I will start working on the f-pac a little later this afternoon. Gonna let the berries thaw a bit while doing some work around the house.

Well, timing isn't working out the way I had planned. I have juice on the stove reducing some and then it needs to cool. Not gonna have time to add this in tonight. Is there any problem with letting this chill in the fridge till tomorrow afternoon?

go ahead.If you have a canning jar put it in that

I think this batch is going to turn out pretty good. :try Added the flavor pac last night and it gave it a nice boost. I'll get it sweetened and cleared then let it age a bit. Now to start thinking about a label design.

Back