Fizz-X Stirrer has some rust on washer

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laneygirl

Reaction score
I just got done using my drill, which I have temporarily (may become permenant) left in my basement with Fizz-X Stirrer in for quick use in my brew/wine making space. I noticed the drill part (I don't know official name) where you tighten bits, end of Fizz-X stirrer, etc. has some rust on it and there was even some on the stainless washer of the Fizz-X stirrer.

Can I just use stainless steel to get that off?

How you prevent it? I have been careful to make sure it's dry...but, obviously not careful enough....

Stainless steel will rust when in contact with any carbon steel that has rust on it or carbon steel that is wet/moist. You can removethe rustwith an abrasive cleanser (like Comet) or a stainless steel wool pad. I'd recommend that you do not leave the stirrer in the drill chuck when not in use as this will surely cause rust on the stainless steel part over time.

Great info and thanks for sharing that Oneo. I dont have that problem as I sanitize before and after use and put it in my drawer but is very good to know in case I ever got lazy. Also, do not leave stainless steel or any metal in contact with the sanitizer as it will ruin it too.

Thanks, Oneo...I'm going to go take it out and use the stainless steel wool pad...have some in my garage. I'll be more disciplined and remove it from the drill chuck. What do you call the thing you tighten the chuck with?

My Fizz-Xhas rust on it to and I don't leave it in the drill. I have only used it a couple times. My Mix Stir still looks brand new and it has been used dozens of times.

Never leave a sulfite sanitizing solution on metal, or store metal in an "equipment humidor." SO2 can corrode almost any metal.

I personally do not leave sanitizing solution on my equipment. After use I clean with a no rinse cleaner but then I do rinse. I then dry the product off and then let air dry in the open before I store it in a drawer in my storage area. I don't sanitize with Na Meta until use.

What it looks like to me is the Fizz X is stainless plating and the chuck scrapes through the plating. The only places any rust developed was the distal end that goes into the drill and the side of the washer/stop closest to the chuck. The other side of the washer or the rest of the shaft looks great. I was able to clean the rust off as it was only surface rust.

The other stir device I have, the Mix Stir must be solid stainless shaft. There are absolutely no marks or scratches on it and it still looks brand new. I have used it dozens of times. The only reason I bought the Fizz x is the plastic stopper on the shaft that keeps the shaft from banging against the neck of the carboy.

I have to say I prefer the Mix Stir. It seems to degas faster with the bigger blades, is longer for more versatility and appears to be a tougher stainless composition. It doesn't have any type spacer on the shaft though so you have to be more careful and conscious to use it. Both product work fine though. I just personally prefer the Mix Stir over the Fizz X.

After use I just rinse my equipment with hot water or clean with C-Brite then rinse if not visually clean.

With my currentexperience with cleaning equipment in the pharmaceutical industry with just hot water to very strict testing standards (most times down to 1 ppm) I have come to appreciate how effective itis.This of course only works with products that are water soluble.

Latest posts

Back