fizz in wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3274mike

Michigan Member
Reaction score
I think I know the answer but I will ask any how. Bottled 5 gal of blackberry and its been approximately 2 weeks oppened a bottle and it has a little pressure. can i cold stabilize this to fix it or do need to put it back in carboy and let it settle out? take note newbies this is not the way to do this. i have made wine for a while now and still make rookie mistakes

sounds like it needs degassing. Cold stabilize won't help because liquids hold CO2 at cooler temps and release at warmer temps.

You could put it in a pail or carboy and degas, and bottle again. You could also just live with it, and decant prior to serving or just swirl the wine around in a glass until the CO2 is released. Again warm works better than cold.

Steve

There is no way this wine is stable because there was no bulk aging done on it. Yes--it has CO2 in it but manual degassing is not the way to handle this wine. Get it back in the carboy and allow it to sit for at least 9 months. You need to get the unstable components off the wine and only time will do that.

Do not be in a hurry to bottle. The magic of bulk aging is something most people don't have a good handle on, but it's vital in producing a good, stable wine.

Turock is right. My plum port 11 months in the carboy and smooth as silk; and still I will leave it alone. I make 2 distinct types of wine: 1 for ageing and being wonderful, and 1 for early drinking whilst I wait :-D

I knew that was the answer just wanted to hear it from someone else. Thanks all

Well its done 25 bottles back in the carboy. Sure hope next time I have to open 25 bottles of wine at one sitting its a real good party

Hopefully, you will only make this mistake once!! Do some reading online about bulk aging--you'll have a better understanding of why it's done and a better appreciation for it.

As has been said over and over--patience is important in winemaking.

Back