First wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
looks yummy! And the gasses that are released will protect it

Peaches: Thanks for the response. I figured as much. The airlock would do a good enough job protecting it. I don't feel the package of fining agents and the 1/2 cup of water will bring it up to the bottom of the neck, but we shall see!

The mouth feel for it is good once you get over the carbonated bite that it has. I will keep you updated as we progress along. I won't be taking SG readings daily now, but more likely every three days. I will also have tasting notes as I go along. I don't have much taste right now do to sinus congestion!

Were ya able to save any from this racking? The first racking you don't need to worry to much about leaving all the lees behind cuz your going for the second fermentation now. It looks like you left some wine behind in your bucket

Were ya able to save any from this racking? The first racking you don't need to worry to much about leaving all the lees behind cuz your going for the second fermentation now. It looks like you left some wine behind in your bucket

I had at most 2 cups remaining in my primary after racking. It was 90% solid lees and oak chips.

most kits account for topping off with water or a like type wine so no worries there. But what I do is usually take what is left in the bucket and put it in a mason jar, pouring it straight from the bucket" and tightly close it and store it in the fridge in the next couple days you will have most of the lees at the bottom of the jar then I carefully poor the wine not to disturb the lees into the carboy and close it tightly again and when I need some more it usually has cleared again on the top so I then go ahead and use what has cleared again. I'm not doubting you had that many lees at all, but this is something I found out when I first started this hobby I wish you all the best and I like your so careful with the cleaning and disinfecting everything! You'l do well!

most kits account for topping off with water or a like type wine so no worries there. But what I do is usually take what is left in the bucket and put it in a mason jar, pouring it straight from the bucket" and tightly close it and store it in the fridge in the next couple days you will have most of the lees at the bottom of the jar then I carefully poor the wine not to disturb the lees into the carboy and close it tightly again and when I need some more it usually has cleared again on the top so I then go ahead and use what has cleared again. I'm not doubting you had that many lees at all, but this is something I found out when I first started this hobby I wish you all the best and I like your so careful with the cleaning and disinfecting everything! You'l do well!

That's a very good idea! I will take that into consideration!.

I make sure that ANYTHING that touches the wine is disinfected with Star-San and allowed to air dry.. Then I disinfect my hands before picking the tool back up. After something is used, it's rinsed, disinfected, and allowed to air dry before I need it again. I figure if I'm going to be taking as many measurements as I do, I need to be methodical and sanitary to reduce my chances of spoiling things.

First Time

I remember my first wine.
Welch's grape wine.
I was so happy that it was drinkable and didn't kill me that I considered it mana from the Gods.
Now after a few years and looking back realizing that it tasted like dry, tart, old feet with alcohol.
Still every batch is an adventure and I never get tired of making it.

Just a brief update. Temperature has stayed at 72 F.. SG is down to 0.999 after temperature correction. I'll K-meta, sorbate, and add fining agents at <=0.995. I anticipate another 4 days for a total of 7 days in secondary fermentation to go from 1.010 to 0.995.

Still sitting at .999 after temperature correction. I've got the brew belt back on the carboy as the temps have dropped back down in NY. Two more days to reach my 10 days for secondary fermentation, however, I don't think I'll be down to .996 in 10 days, looks like I'll extend it out to 12 days.

Good Evening, Everyone. Here's an update for you.
I finished secondary fermentation and then added the fining agents and stabilizing additives. I've sat for 16 days. I racked off of the fine lees to a bottling bucket carefully avoiding splashing. I then bottled using my autosiphon and ferrari bottle filler.

I had several issues with the bottle filler, which worked perfectly on a previous batch of beer. I lost my siphon several times and would have to keep pumping away to get it back. I seemed to have wine getting around the seal at the bottom plunger of the autosiphon because the barrel of the autosiphon would be completely filled with wine, which was a PITA!.

Frustrations mounting, I got in a rhythm and was able to get 20 consecutive bottles filled and then ran into issues towards the end again.

Due to losses in me pulling the siphon in and out and emptying the barrel into the sink, I ended up with 29 bottles off of a 6 gallon batch.

Some pictures below. Now I wait a month and we shall see what I've done.

xcRdvCP.jpg

Bottles all cleaned and santized

MrWJc7O.jpg

Carboy moved up, getting ready to rack to bottling bucket.

knPqxyo.jpg

Finished Bottles.

It also seemed that my hand-corker was leaving about 1/8th inch of cork out of the bottle. I shall see after three days and the corks have a chance to reform.

My hand corker (double lever) did the same thing. Never caused a problem unless I wanted to put a capsule on it. I have retired my corker in favor of a Portuguese floor corker. Love that thing.

jzabron,

Thank you so much for sharing you experience. I do have a couple of comments/observations..

- cudos for dropping the EC-1118 for RC 212. I mostly use this yeast an I am a big fan.

- It looks like you did (what I would call) a "warm fermentation" where the temp never got much over 80 degrees. If you are going for a fully bodied red, why not try to ferment a little hotter (say peaking at 90 to 95 degrees)? This would burn off more of the fruit.

- I really like your fermentation graph. I do the same thing.

- Consider going with a nutrient schedule next time (especially when using RC-212). The best approach (IMHO) is to split up the nutrient into three "feedings". Put 1/4 in just before pitching yeast, then add half one fermentation really begins (24 to 48 hours into fermentation), then add the remainder a day prior to transferring to your secondary. RC-212 seems to really like this.

- try an open fermentation next time (just place the lid on your bucket and do not snap it down. In the early stages of fermentation, o2 is beneficial to yeast.

Sorry for all of the kibitzing. I think that you had a great first approach that is far better than a lot of beginners. Your taking the time to research will reap you rewards!....

jzabron,

Thank you so much for sharing you experience. I do have a couple of comments/observations..

- cudos for dropping the EC-1118 for RC 212. I mostly use this yeast an I am a big fan.

- It looks like you did (what I would call) a "warm fermentation" where the temp never got much over 80 degrees. If you are going for a fully bodied red, why not try to ferment a little hotter (say peaking at 90 to 95 degrees)? This would burn off more of the fruit.

- I really like your fermentation graph. I do the same thing.

- Consider going with a nutrient schedule next time (especially when using RC-212). The best approach (IMHO) is to split up the nutrient into three "feedings". Put 1/4 in just before pitching yeast, then add half one fermentation really begins (24 to 48 hours into fermentation), then add the remainder a day prior to transferring to your secondary. RC-212 seems to really like this.

- try an open fermentation next time (just place the lid on your bucket and do not snap it down. In the early stages of fermentation, o2 is beneficial to yeast.

Sorry for all of the kibitzing. I think that you had a great first approach that is far better than a lot of beginners. Your taking the time to research will reap you rewards!....

John,

I just couldn't bring myself to use a champagne yeast for a red.

I had difficulties due to such a cold apartment to keep temperature levels at that, now that we're moving into warmer months, I should be able to have a higher temperature fermentation.

I did a bit of a feeding schedule. I didn't put any in when pitching the yest, but I did put it in 24 hours after followed by 72 hours after.

For the primary fermentation, the bucket lid definitely was left loose. One tip I may use from a beer making post on Reddit would be to siphon the juice into the primary bucket from the pail and use a binder clip on the end of the siphon hose to "spray" the juice to help initial aeration.

Thank you for your feedback and I'll update everyone with my next batches!
Stay tuned!

Latest posts

Back