First Wine Ever - Missed K-meta

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sct1984

Reaction score
Hello all!

First post about my first wine here, so be gentle :b

I'm happy to say that so far my 5 Gallons of strawberry wine (from fresh fruit) "seems" to be going well, aside from the subject title.

Starting S.G. was around 1.090 and just racked last night (Day 6) into a glass carboy at around S.G. 1.028, so I believe things are behaving as they should.

Long story short, I did not add the campden tablets, as the recipe I was using called for pitching the yeast immediately (without resting for 24 hours) and I had recently read that adding the tablets at the same time would inhibit fermentation and it could be added later (noted success stories of both options).

So if I understand correctly, at this point I should wait until fermentation is complete before adding campden tabs/potassium metabisulfite, however what else should be known prior to adding the tablets or powder?

I was thinking to add them after the second racking once dry.

Thanks all, no advice/opinion is unwanted.

You're correct, at this point, you want to let the yeast do its job, ferment all of the sugar to alcohol. Once that's done (as evidenced by several unchanged SG readings over a couple or three day period), it'll be time for racking and sulfiting, and sorbate since you will probably sweeten the finished product.

You didn't say, but did your ingredients include any yeast nutrients?

And welcome!!

hi John, thanks - glad to finally be part of the community after many years of interest!

Ingredients (for 5 Gallons)

• 20 lbs. fresh strawberries (picked ripe, not mushy)
• 1 package Champagne Yeast (Lalvin EC-1118)
• 12 lbs. sugar
• 3 Tbsp. citric acid
• Filtered water (up to 6 gallons)
• 5 tsp. Yeast nutrient
• 2 tsp. Wine tannins
• 1 Tbsp. pectic enzyme

Another thing that threw me off (which was going to be a separate thread all-together) was that the recipe did not specify that I should have tested/adjusted acidity - just stated to add the citric acid...and now that I look at it... does it seem a bit much, or seem reasonable to add all of that? Which I did. Is there a "normal?" ratio for a starting point of citric acid/acid blends, etc?

Last edited:
Normally with fresh fruit, you would want to crush 1 campden tab per gallon, stir and wait 24-48 hours before pinching yeast.

hi John, thanks - glad to finally be part of the community after many years of interest!

Ingredients (for 5 Gallons)

• 20 lbs. fresh strawberries (picked ripe, not mushy)
• 1 package Champagne Yeast (Lalvin EC-1118)
• 12 lbs. sugar
• 3 Tbsp. citric acid
• Filtered water (up to 6 gallons)
• 5 tsp. Yeast nutrient
• 2 tsp. Wine tannins
• 1 Tbsp. pectic enzyme

Another thing that threw me off (which was going to be a separate thread all-together) was that the recipe did not specify that I should have tested/adjusted acidity - just stated to add the citric acid...and now that I look at it... does it seem a bit much, or seem reasonable to add all of that? Which I did. Is there a "normal?" ratio for a starting point of citric acid/acid blends, etc?

Ok, you got nutrients, that'll help your yeast eat all of the sugar, EC 1118 should muscle you through.
Regarding acid, I'm not experienced with the natural acidity in non grape fruits, but I'd presume that if your fruit was properly ripe, the acid addition in the recipe puts you in the right realm of acidity. Test it if you can, just to see, but if not, once your wine is done, small sample testing of acid and sugar additions can help you craft the wine to your liking.

As Whitehrs said, you want to add that campden tablet at the start... You will add it again at the end to stop the fermentation process.

The purpose of adding it at the start and waiting a few days is to ensure that there is no active bacteria living on that fresh fruit that was added in by mistake and growing alongside your yeast, giving you things you DO NOT want in your wines.

As people have mentioned, e coli can be picked up by ground contact, and some wild yeasts have an undesirable taste to them... Strawberries grow very close to the ground.

If you don't like the idea of adding citric acid, you could go with adding a good orange juice. For 5 gallons, it would be 3 - 4 8-oz cups, though ... This adds nutrients that the yeast will need to grow strong quickly. The building blocks of life (DNA) are basic acids, like citric acid, in various combinations.

Personally, I don't see the reason you would need to combine both the citric acid and the yeast nutrient. I think they both perform the same function.

Personally, I don't see the reason you would need to combine both the citric acid and the yeast nutrient. I think they both perform the same function.

Maybe some energizer, and the citric acid..

Guys, I'm fairly sure citric acid is to prevent browning and yeast nutrient is stuff to feed yeast and keep it munching and happily multiplying. I don't think they are interchangeable. But I do think adding OJ in place of citric acid would also add some additional nutrients for the yeast, tho probably not enough depending on how needy the yeast is that you've chosen.

Pam in cinti

Guys, I'm fairly sure citric acid is to prevent browning and yeast nutrient is stuff to feed yeast and keep it munching and happily multiplying. I don't think they are interchangeable. But I do think adding OJ in place of citric acid would also add some additional nutrients for the yeast, tho probably not enough depending on how needy the yeast is that you've chosen.

Pam in cinti

This is what I had thought also - that the citric acid (or acid blend) was primarily added for controlling the acidity of the wine, where as the yeast nutrient is "food" (can we say side dish :h) for the yeast to help it survive - nitrogen/other minerals, etc...

I wouldn't say though I am opposed to adding Citric Acid (in part because it is already in there!) - just whether it seems like it would be too much. It was mentioned that if the recipe had been tested/used before then it should be at least in the ball park.

Question now is, when is the best time to check/adjust?

As for the campden, it seems clear enough that it should be added after the next racking. I will try adding it and letting everything settle 24 hours before pitching yeast next time to see if there any distinguishable differences.

Last edited:
Nutrients are definitely just there to feed the yeast. As for the acid, if you have the capability, testing before fermentation would be preferred. Too low of a Ph will be a very unfriendly environment for your yeast, too high, and it's very friendly to lots of other nasty bugs you don't want living in your must / wine. If you can test and be in the 3.3 - 3.8 ish range to start, that's a good place to be, I like 3.4 personally.

Once your wine is done, you can still play with the Ph just like you can the sweetness, remembering of course that too high of a Ph is not a good place to be for stability and aging potential, too low, well no one wants to drink strong acid, let your taste buds guide you. Acid blend seems to be the way to go for fruit wines, tartaric acid only for grape wines.

Latest posts

Back