First Use of The Steam Juicer

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eland

Reaction score
On Sunday I juiced 27 pounds of what I call backyard/pasture pears with my new steamer. The yield was3 gallons plus an iced tea glass of juice. I didn't quite know what to expect as far as the amount of juice. I am satisfied with the amount though. The pearshave beenfrozen for a couple of months. The yeasties get thrown in tonight.

That sounds like a good yield of juice...did it have good flavor???

How big is your batch of wine????

Sweet, don't forget the pectic enzyme too..... I hear pear can be a bear to clear.

Northern Winos said:
That sounds like a good yield of juice...did it have good flavor???

NW, it has a very nice flavor and the color is great too.

How big is your batch of wine????

The batch is just over six gallons.

gaudet said:
Sweet, don't forget the pectic enzyme too..... I hear pear can be a bear to clear.

I doubled up on the pectic enzyme. Once I get my pics uploaded, I will post the details in the fruit wine forum.

Doing some quick math in my head, that was 27 pounds of pears, 3 gallons of juice (the glass is lagniappe-french for a little something extra) So for arguments sake we'll say that 1 gallon of juice is 8 pounds. That's one heck of a juice yield. Was there much pulp left when you were finished? Or was it just the skins?

Did that much water dilute the flavor of the juice much???

Do you know the name of your backyard/pasture pears???

Very interested in this wine you are making....someday hope to have enough pears to make some wine.....Have a mate for our tree now....so hoping for a good crop from all the annual flowers we get.

gaudet said:
Doing some quick math in my head, that was 27 pounds of pears, 3 gallons of juice (the glass is lagniappe-french for a little something extra) So for arguments sake we'll say that 1 gallon of juice is 8 pounds. That's one heck of a juice yield. Was there much pulp left when you were finished? Or was it just the skins?

To be honest, I probably could have gotten more juice. I had gotten tired fromjuicing most of the afternoon and into the night. There was some pulp and some skins left. In fact, I froze two gallon freezer bags to make jelly with later on. One thing I did notice though, was that the pears I froze whole let go a whole lot more juice that the ones that were quartered.

Northern Winos said:
Did that much water dilute the flavor of the juice
much???

I was afraid that it would bediluted a bit, but the flavor was still good.

Do you know the name of your backyard/pasture pears???

I call them backyard/pasture pears because around here if you look in any yard or pasure, you are likely to find them. I do believe they are Bartletts though.

Very interested in this wine you are making....

I will have pics up soon....

Eland said:
To be honest, I probably could have gotten more juice. I had gotten tired fromjuicing most of the afternoon and into the night. There was some pulp and some skins left. In fact, I froze two gallon freezer bags to make jelly with later on. One thing I did notice though, was that the pears I froze whole let go a whole lot more juice that the ones that were quartered.

Yeah, freezing ruptures the cells the water/juice expands and ruptures the cellular walls releasing all of the coveted juice. You should and did see a difference. Glad to hear you had a good first experience with your juicer. I have a date with mine coming soon. I need to juice some more grapes soon to make freezer space.

I understand about the freezer space. I'm either going to have a "situation" with freezer space or lack of carboys.....
smiley24.gif

You can get carboys cheaper than freezers as long as the price of glass doesn't go up again. Unless you buy a used one from craigslist.......
smiley36.gif

Latest posts

Back