Other First Try With Premium Amarone Kit

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JerryF

Reaction score
Well, couldn't wait any longer. I've been holding on to an Italian Amarone kit (Fontana Premium) that I received as a gift. The kit contained a small packet of really dark toasted oak chips and I won't have any issues on using those. This is the first kit I've ever used though which also contained a 1lb. packet of raisins as well as a small packet of dried grape skins. This is where I'm disappointed in the kit directions; they say absolutely nothing about the raisins or grape skins. Don't know if I'm supposed to rehydrate them before adding, or when I should be adding them (I'm assuming from reading many other posts that it would go into the primary stage?) or how long I need to leave them in there. Any comments or suggestions?
Jerry :dg

I can't say for your kit but I'm in the middle of making a CC showcase Amarone and I had a grape pack. I was to put that into the primary and discard before racking down to the carboy.

I can't say for your kit but I'm in the middle of making a CC showcase Amarone and I had a grape pack. I was to put that into the primary and discard before racking down to the carboy.

The CC Showcase Amarone doesn't bring a dried raisins pack aside from the normal grape skins pack?

This being a kit and it comes with instructions for the kit this is my I would suggest you do. Somewhere on your instruction sheet you have contact information for the company that made that specific wine kit. It will be either a phone number or an email address, or both of them.
They will have people there that will be happy to answer all questions you may have about your wine kit. They make that wine kit so they know all bout it. I would go with their phone number as my first choice.

I just started the CC showcase Amarone a couple of days ago. It has a huge grape pack. I don't know that it's not the same grape pack as normal but it's definitely seems thicker when trying to squeeze it out of the bag

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

It's just a grape pack but a pack of grapes that have been raisinated (I think that's what's its called).

I looked at the ABC Cork web-site and could not find any instructions, and I have never made one of their kits. Sometimes the instructions mention 'fruit' in the primary fermentation section.

I gotta chuckle, according to the web-site, a Fontana Premium kit is 5.5 litres. Not exactly Premium to my way of thinking.

Jerry: I would probably just empty both packets into the primary. Some folks rehydrate the raisins and/or chop them coarsely. I don't recall anyone mentioning doing that with grape skins. Most people would put them in a cheesecloth bag to make racking easier. You probably should stir them under every day (loose, or in bag).

Steve

Nice avatar by the way Jerry! If it were MY kit, I would add the grapes to primary and raisins in secondary prior to fining and adding sulfite. The reason being is that in the primary the grape skins and raisins would add body and mouthfeel but not necessarily the "raisin flavor" you get in a good Amarone. Therefore I think raisins when you rack at <1.020 on the other hand... Some premium kits say to add either or. I would add both though. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

Jerry I add raisins to some kits that don't come with grape packs. I put the raisins in a strainer bag so I can squeeze it daily to extract the juice and break up (pop) the plumped up raisins. I'd get a bag or use some muslin. Add skins and raisins and squeeze daily. Remove after primary and discard. RJ Spagnols uses dried skins in some kits, check out their on line instructions.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Wine Making mobile app

Based on what everyone has said, I've gone ahead with both packets in my primary. There is fermentation already underway (starting SG 1.080). I will squeeze the filter bags once a day until finished primary (i.e. the SG is < 1.020) and then remove before racking. Thought about doing the raisins in secondary but the short straw told me to do the primary.

As Steve says, the Fontana kits are not exactly "Premium" in the strict sense of the word, that's just the name they call it on the box. I have made several of their kits now though and I do get a pretty passable product. When I do a little bit of tinkering (oak, dextrose, tannin, yeast, etc.), it turns out even better. Several I've made both ways; straight with the instructions and then with my tinkering. I get a very marked improvement.

Jerry :dg

Back