first time with grapes

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wray

Reaction score
Today I picked up my Sav.Blanc. grapes from George at The Wine Makers Toy Store in Carrolton Tx.We crushed and pressed on site. I ended up with about 71/2 gal. of must.sg1.098. acid titrated to about .5%. I added 1 oz. acid blendto bring it to about .65%. I am using 2 kit fermenters 1/2 full each.I hae dissolved 1/4 tsp k.meta in each fermenter ,covered,and will start fermentation with Lalvin D47 yeast tomorrow.Any suggestions or comments? with the s.g. this high,will I need to add yeast nutrients, and if so,when?

Last edited:
I have not made white wine from grapes, so I am not familiar with D47 yeast (I have only made red wine from fresh grapes). Lalvin's website indicates D47 does not need much nutrient, so you might consider adding some nutrient if you want to ensure it ferments totally dry. It probably will anyway, but a little excess nutrient shouldn't hurt anything. If you don't add nutrient, worst case scenario (probably) is that ferments incompletely, leaving some residual sweetness. I don't think I would like that in Sauv. Blanc, but perhaps you do. If you want to add nutrient, the sooner, the better - it needs to be present as the yeast runs out of nitrogen during ferment - it can/should be added when the yeast is pitched.

I got my grapes from FVW on Friday as well - 14 lugs of 6 different red grape varietals (Cab. Sauv., Cab Franc, Merlot, Malbec, Sangiovese and Barbera), pitched the RC 212 yeast and they are all going strong. Since RC212 particularly needs nutrient, I intend to add my nutrient today - thanks for reminding me!

I would add some DAP (yeast nutrient) for sure. You should not have used Acid Blend, only Tartaric Acid!

Hopefully you won't be able to taste the Malic Acid (green apple) in your Sauv Blanc!

Follow the instructions that come with the DAP. Usually its ~ 1gm per Liter of must.

I agree - I would add DAP as well.

If you have not pitched the yeast yet - I would suggest using Lalvin K1-1116 for the Sav Blanc.

Latest posts

Back