First time using frozen must

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any update on this Tom?

Funny you should ask. I racked again last Friday for the third time. There was no sediment left. The wine is a deep purple and as clear as a bell. Really very happy about that. I'm continuing to see really dramatic changes in the flavor of this wine as it ages. All of that initial astringency is gone. The fresh fruity flavor is really standing out. But there is something that continues to be out of balance. I'm thinking it still has a bit too much acid. I'm going to give it a bit more time to see how it develops, but I may try to cold stabilize it over the winter.

Well, we had a cold snap move through during the past two weeks, including 8" of snow :snw here at the house. I spotted it coming and decided to use it as an excuse and opportunity to try some cold stabilization of this Washington Cab. The carboy spent nine days on the front porch with the temps ranging from 12*F to 34*F. I brought it in and racked it immediately. There was quite a significant amount of residue on the bottom and sides of the carboy. I topped up the wine, put a solid stopper on the carboy and set it in my storage room. That was a couple of days ago.

Today I went in to check on things and found that the wine had warmed up and expanded, pushing the stopper out of the neck of the carboy. I siphoned it back to an appropriate level and replaced the stopper. But something had to be done with that wine that I'd taken off the carboy. It was about 2.5 fl ozs. What would YOU do with it? :dg Yup, me, too.

Holy cow!!!!! :HB That has turned into some really amazing wine! I'm so surprised and tickled! My wife had a taste and was blown away, too. I've made a lot of kits to this point in my winemaking adventure, but this is turning out to be the most surprising point along the journey.

I'll be bottling it soon . . . probably in the next couple of weeks. Then I plan to give it another year of aging in the bottle before opening it again. I'm so excited and happy about how this has turned out. Thanks to everyone who has offered suggestions and helped along the way!

:try

Latest posts

Back