First Post! When has the risk of exploding bottles passed?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey! Happy to have recently found this community. This is my first non-kit attempt at wine and I am really happy with how it turned out. However, I have read horror stories about the potential of bottles exploding due to fermentation. I followed the instructions and everything seems right. I would like to give some to my grandparents to try but I would rather wait to make sure the bottle won't explode (they have enough problems already). Is there a time when this would have occurred already? Is there a good waiting period? Or is this just one of those things that may happen anytime? Thanks in advance! I bottled 2 cases over last weekend. FYI.

Hey! Happy to have recently found this community. This is my first non-kit attempt at wine and I am really happy with how it turned out. However, I have read horror stories about the potential of bottles exploding due to fermentation. I followed the instructions and everything seems right. I would like to give some to my grandparents to try but I would rather wait to make sure the bottle won't explode (they have enough problems already). Is there a time when this would have occurred already? Is there a good waiting period? Or is this just one of those things that may happen anytime? Thanks in advance! I bottled 2 cases over last weekend. FYI.
the norm is the ferment is over when your hydrometer reads the same 3 days in a row, then you add you K-meta,,,, potassium metabisulfite also called Campton tablets, and potassium sorbate, then back sweeten or not wait another 3 days and if no change bottle away,
Dawg

@catchwithUtley -- We need more information to help. What was your final SG? Did you backsweeten and stabilize? Did you bottle in corkable bottles or screwcaps?

If you bottled in corkable bottles and did not put any type or cage over the cork (like champagne bottles have), then the bottle cannot explode. However, if fermentation is not complete, you can have your very own volcano!

If the wine fermented out (SG 0.996 or lower) and you did not backsweeten, fermentation was done and there is nothing left for the yeast to eat, so there is no danger.

If you backsweetened and did NOT stabilize with potassium sorbate and K-meta, then you may have a renewed fermentation in the bottle. Again, if corked there's no danger, just the potential for a mess. However, if you bottled in screwcaps which are not designed to handle pressure, if the pressure builds enough, the bottle can explode.

Don't open wine for 3 months after bottling, regardless of how long you bulk aged. Wine often undergoes bottle shock, which temporarily makes the wine taste bad, but if left alone the wine returns to normal and all is good.

I agree with the previous comments. You mention none kit attempt so if it was a juice bucket or fresh grapes, didn't go through MLF or wasn't sulfited enough there could be potential for exploding bottles. The gases given off through MLF are nowhere near that of AF but it still does produce gases. MLF done through a natural process could take months and months to complete.

Like @winemaker81 said, dry wine will not explode. Tell us it is dry and all is cool.

Considering it is in a bottle already if it still has sugar and referments waiting a month or a hundred years will not change what you put in the bottle. If the bottle referents the safest thing is to chill the wine before opening. Heat will make a carbonated wine more dangerous ie summer holds more risk.
Bottles should hold one and a half atmosphere, and frequently closer to two atmospheres. If it was a grosch bottle it would leak and not build up dangerous pressure

In the carboy I like to age things nine to eleven months so the yeast have time to starve.

welcome to the forum.

Back