Mosti Mondiale First Kit in primary fermentor

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You must have had one serious leak. At least it was the DT kit. When you get ready to order the "replacement", give me a call and we will help defray the some of the costs. We are serious about our guarantee.

George,

Thanks but not necessary. I screwed up or should I sayscrewed up too much the spigot when I put it in. This one is complete operator headspace and timing. It was PIBCAF (Problem Is Between Carboy And Floor). I was holding the carboy at the time.
smiley2.gif

I now have the Amerone in the primary. Eric makes wine take two!
smiley5.gif

I just have to type this one even though it's bad. I guess my first kit made WHINE.
smiley36.gif
Edited by: A62Rambler

Next time Rambler, just snap the lid on tight and turn the fermenter upside down until you can get a replacement vessel ready
smiley4.gif

Waldo, the lid is drilled for a grommet and an airlock! Might be a good idea to have a solid stopper the size of that hole. Push the grommet in (or pull it out) and put the stopper in the hole real tight first.

Upside down would have leaked through the ailock. The way my spigot was leaking, that might have been less.
smiley1.gif

I read that the all juice kits are a little slow to start fermenting. Nobody told this Amarone kit. After just 24 hours it is playing a nice tune with the bubbles coming out the airlock. I'll check the specific gravity to see what it has done. It's alive! That's for certain. My dog keeps barking at the fermentor.
smiley36.gif

Actually, I have found all of the MM kits to start fermenting faster than the WE or RJ. My theory is the rehydration of the yeast gives them a head start. I will be curious as to the opinions of others on this subject.

geocorn said:
Actually, I have found all of the MM kits to start
fermenting faster than the WE or RJ. My theory is the rehydration
of the yeast gives them a head start. I will be curious as to the
opinions of others on this subject.

The WE Selection Cabernet Sauvignon I just fermented about a month ago,
it started fermentation less than 12 hours from the time I pitched the
yeast!!! I did not rehydrate it. Pretty quick if you ask
me. Temp was 73 degrees in the room I had it in. I say less
than 12 hours because it started at some unbeknownst time in the
middle of the night while i was snoring away :)

I just tonight transferred it into its' bulk aging carboy. It had
been degassed on August 1st. So chalk one up to a fast
fermentation without rehydration. maybe the yeast was extra fresh?

I just checked the sg and it has only dropped .008 in 24 hours. But, it is expelling co2 with two glurps (I make my owntechnical terms
smiley2.gif
) every 4 seconds. My guess is that it just took off. Although I have no point of reference. It smells yeasty but has a wonderful aroma. I can smell the grapes and the grape juice as separate aromas. This is going to be a lot of fun...right up until the long bulk aging. Then it is going to be torture!
smiley36.gif

My raspberry melomel was bubbling within 4 hours with just the sprinkling method using Red Star Montrachet yeast.

PeterZ said:
Waldo, the lid is drilled for a grommet and an airlock! Might be a good idea to have a solid stopper the size of that hole. Push the grommet in (or pull it out) and put the stopper in the hole real tight first.

smiley36.gif
Some "assumptions" are made in my posts Peter.

Well,I just goback on board and found this an interesting thread -- and sorry to hear of the bad first experience.

But, I'm surprised Waldo, whenyou gave that great idea about snapping down the lid and turning it upside down, didn't add "Oh -- and grab a camera -- we'd alllike to see the pictures!!!"

smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
Edited by: OilnH2O

I wish I'd had a camera for the leak. I can't believe that kinking the inside gasket could leak like that.

On a better note. I just checked the Amarone kit again tonight. It's down to 1.038 and so I'll be racking tomorrow. The drip I tasted was still grape juice but had flavors of tanins and the alcohol. It was already impressive.
smiley20.gif
I think this is going to be real torture waiting for 9 months.
smiley18.gif

A far greater torture would be that 9 months from now there was none left to see just how good it would have been !!!

Very wise words Waldo!

After my disaster kit, the Amarone is doing well. I just racked it to the carboy. I used one of the round airlocks. I'm already missing the sounds.
smiley4.gif

George,

We need a newbie support system so that they have something to drink while waiting the 9 months for the Amarone to age.
smiley4.gif

Nine months for an Amarone? At nine months I'll be thinking about bottling!

Peter,

At nine months I'll have no hair left and will have chewed my fingernails down to the bone in aticipation of bottling this kit.
smiley18.gif
I don't have a previous kit bottled to drink so I'll have to settle for that store bought stuff until then.

Back