Mosti Mondiale First grape pack and topping off

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roadpupp

Reaction score
I am finally getting the castle de papa with grape pack going that I bought from Wade.

The grape pack is now inside a mesh bag. It really displaces a lot of volume! I filled my bucket to the 23 l mark after I put the grape pack in.

The SG is really high (1.105) so I suspect I should pull the bag out and fill to the 23L mark then add the bag back in?

And squeeze the bag each day or so?

Thanks to all that reply

You always make the must up to 23L BEFORE adding the grape pack or any other pack like raisins or skins, etc. Pull it back out and fill to the 23L mark or just a little under. No need to squeeze every day, either toss in a heavy glass jar (clean and sanitized) so it will sink to the bottom and stay there or punch it down several times a day to keep it wet and extract all the goodness in those skins. You can squeeze it when you are ready to rack to secondary.

Can you buy a grape skin pack separately? I have tried to do a google search and not come up with individual purchase. I think the winemaker's toy store has a line item for it, but not a picture, buy option, or anything showing in stock.

Oh, I have seen them for sale on Ebay in packs of 4. What do you think of this?

I have looked for grape packs and understand they are no longer available unless part of a kit. This one came with the kit. I haven't heard any reviews of any bought on eBay but would be interested to read about any experiences.

You always make the must up to 23L BEFORE adding the grape pack or any other pack like raisins or skins, etc. Pull it back out and fill to the 23L mark or just a little under. No need to squeeze every day, either toss in a heavy glass jar (clean and sanitized) so it will sink to the bottom and stay there or punch it down several times a day to keep it wet and extract all the goodness in those skins. You can squeeze it when you are ready to rack to secondary.

Mike, I have never seen this before and I am not sure what you mean. Can you explain? I assume a jar without a top or a top with holes in it. I have never done this and I am willing to learn any new technique that will improve my wine. I do put the grape packs in mesh bags and I do squeeze them a couple times daily during primary fermentation. I feel I get better extraction of the goodies from the grape pack. I would be interested in knowing why you don't think this is necessary or perhaps a bad idea.

Thanks.

You used to be able to buy grape packs separate from FVW. They were available for a few years from Cellar Craft but they quite making them sometime late last year. I may have gotten two of the last 2 Syrah grape packs from George at the end of the year. Still have one for a rainy day as they say.

Rocky, any heavy "Low Ball" glass should work just fine. Just clean and sanitize it then toss it in the muslin bag. Just get a heavy one that won't break easily and won't float to the top once the CO2 starts rising up to the top.

a919157315kzoom1-300x300.jpg

I think squeezing the bag every day is overkill. Mother nature will do its thing just fine with punching down the bag a few times a day or tossing in a boat anchor to weigh it down and keep it under the must. You can squeeze the bag all you want when you transfer it to secondary.

Last edited:
sinking the bag

I sanitized some stainless flatware the first time, and put it in the bag. Unfortunately, the bag is so long, the skins migrated to the other end, and floated to the surface. The second time, I put some in both ends of the bag. That was enough to keep it under the surface. I actually inquired to the manufacturer if it was ok to do this.

Grape packs

I have bought the packs from Paklabs. They dont have the punch the pack in my RJS Tuscan had but they add considerable body and flavor for the price. I added a merlot pack to their Tuscan rosso (amore divino) then treated it like a 6 week kit. Even this early (4wks after bottling) It seems very nice. Its not big and thick like the supper tuscans I had in Italy, but it's bigger than any VR pack. For the price I don't think you can go wrong adding them to a lesser kit. I also save the stuff I sieve of the top, add two recycled skins sets together and use them again on a kit. Seems to help. Ferments fast, so I go by time on the skins, not SG before the second ferm.

They raised the price $5 since I bought in mid March

I hope Roadpupp (Chad) catches this too.

I'm a rookie vintner, but I've been a wine freak for 40+ yrs

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FIOR-D-UVA-crushed-grape-pack-4-bags-CHOOSE-YOUR-STYLE-/170858172540?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_210&hash=item27c7f0d07c

Can you buy a grape skin pack separately? I have tried to do a google search and not come up with individual purchase. I think the winemaker's toy store has a line item for it, but not a picture, buy option, or anything showing in stock.

Oh, I have seen them for sale on Ebay in packs of 4. What do you think of this?

Last edited:
I'd love to hear how they work out. At $20 a piece, it may make more sense to buy the grape packs that are offered by the kit companies. Renaissance impressions (with grape pack) is only $13 more than the same kit without on FVW. It looks like the EBay packs are bigger though.

Perhaps for kits that aren't available with a grape pack at any cost these could improve the mouthfeel. Still, I'd feel better If I knew more about who produced the grape packs.

Looks like they are made by Paklab a wine kit maker in Canada.

I guess I didn't feel $20 with free shipping was all that bad. If I recall, FVW's were at the $15 range with out shipping. and I'm pretty sure shipping was more that $5. I was actually planning on getting some for the fall juice season to try them out.

My thoughts exactly. They were about $14 for a 1.5L pack plus shipping. These are $20 for 2.5L pack and free shipping plus they have Cab Sauv and Merlot. I am not making many kits any more but those are still tempting!

The seller is listed as "paklabstore" but you can name yourself anything you want on EBay. ( I once bought $50 worth of Gilette Mach 3 razors that were fakes). I would want a few more assurances as to the veracity of the claims before dropping $80 on them. Then again I am an ex New. Yorker! If they are a paklab product then I would have more confidence.

Grape packs paklab

I am positive they are from paklab as my first order was destoyed at our local UPS hub and had to be reshipped. I spoke to the service reps at the plant.[

QUOTE=roadpupp;353560]The seller is listed as "paklabstore" but you can name yourself anything you want on EBay. ( I once bought $50 worth of Gilette Mach 3 razors that were fakes). I would want a few more assurances as to the veracity of the claims before dropping $80 on them. Then again I am an ex New. Yorker! If they are a paklab product then I would have more confidence.[/QUOTE]

Ibglowing- I'm saying that at least THIS New Yorker (ex ) has trust issues!

Glad to hear they are a Paklab product. That is confidence inspiring. It may be less fuss than making my own but the thought of adding fresh grape packs is still compelling...

Latest posts

Back