First country wine.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, this is exciting! I'm with Big Dave on this one. I'm chuffed right pink.

@Cosyden If you find over the course of the next few months that you have acquired a stock of berries in the freezer, an unusual amount of sugar in the pantry, and that there are gallons of wine in the works... And more that you plan to make... Just know, it has happened to many here. You do not need to be afraid, or embarrassed.

We understand.

JOIN US!

I mean, Welcome!

Well, this is exciting! I'm with Big Dave on this one. I'm chuffed right pink.

@Cosyden If you find over the course of the next few months that you have acquired a stock of berries in the freezer, an unusual amount of sugar in the pantry, and that there are gallons of wine in the works... And more that you plan to make... Just know, it has happened to many here. You do not need to be afraid, or embarrassed.

We understand.

JOIN US!

I mean, Welcome!

Cheers Vinny, it’s actually worse than that. I’ve only been in to this for 2 weeks but I bought a second freezer yesterday. You just can’t have enough berry storage..

Your carboy is chock a block. Looks nice
whereabouts you hail from ? Somewhere in the UK for sure.

You’re not wrong. I’m from Sheffield, Yorkshire, England but I’ve been living in Perthshire, Scotland for 25 years. I actually live right on the edge of the ‘Carse of Gowrie’ which is the main soft fruit producing area in Scotland. There’s a cracking little winery just along the road that produces various fruit and leaf wines. They don’t take themselves too seriously but the wine is incredible. Probably the main reason I’m now here trying to learn the craft.

You’re not wrong. I’m from Sheffield, Yorkshire, England but I’ve been living in Perthshire, Scotland for 25 years. I actually live right on the edge of the ‘Carse of Gowrie’ which is the main soft fruit producing area in Scotland. There’s a cracking little winery just along the road that produces various fruit and leaf wines. They don’t take themselves too seriously but the wine is incredible. Probably the main reason I’m now here trying to learn the craft.
Well Bob’s your uncle. My ex Son in law is from Litchfield right near there.
welcome to the best and friendliest place for info.

ive got a yard full of fruit trees and vines, but far different from my ancestral land of Scotland (clan McKinnon)

Curiosity got the best of me today. I sanitised my newly acquired turkey baster and stuck it in my brew. It’s not quite finished fermenting yet and is showing 1.002 with the airlock passing a bubble every 40 seconds.
I had a wee taste which was, to my mind, absolutely incredible. Almost like grapefruit crush.
Before I re fitted the bung I topped up the demijohn from the small bottle and have been left with this. I want to keep the rest to top up when I next rack. Will this stay fresh for a couple of weeks in the fridge or should I either put it in a smaller bottle or just rack it now?

Thanks
68E685C8-ABCF-4E27-80D2-D187835E086A.jpeg

First racking from the secondary. I thought I was being clever racking from a 5ltr demijohn to a 1 gallon demijohn (4.5ltrs). There’s now a good amount of wine on the floor and soaked into my sock. Looks bonnie and tastes pretty good though.
You just learned an important lesson -- always ensure the receiving container is big enough! Although losing any wine is unfortunate, this lesson was inexpensive, compared to losing a whole batch. A few bobble happen along the way.

The color is beautiful and it appears you're off to a great start!

Back