First bottle bomb :)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hobbyiswine

Reaction score
I made a dry Grenache raspberry rose. I sweetened a few bottles and set them upright on the shelf about a month ago. I found a cork on the floor of the winery/play room a couple days ago and figured my son had mixed it in with his Legos. Today is found a bottle missing a cork and a bit of wine missing with some sediment in the bottle on the shelf. Oops. I carefully opened one of the bottles next to it and had an eruption of co2! Tastes great! Just not what I was going for! Hahahaha :)

Think I would get the other bottles in the refrigerator. Helps keep the corks in them. Had the same thing happen one time. Hurried up and drank what was still left. Wasn't too bad. Arne.

Hand them out to those folks who beg wine from you that you wish didn't. If it's a hot day and they're going shopping before going home even better yet!

Just kidding....kinda

Welcome to the club!!! My first wines were from Welches grape juice. I repurposed the bottles for wine storage. Had no idea what I was doing. They started exploding in the basement at around 3AM.
MESSY!!!!

< sigh > Getting a headache!

Well John, we all had to start somewhere. Many years ago, I started with welches or some other grape concentrate. Wine was probably terrible, but it had alcohol and give us a cheap drunk while waiting for payday. Think I do a little better now, though. LOL, Arne.

We'll look on the bright side, it's better than making wine with Kool Aid :slp

We all have to remember how we started. John got to learn from some of the old masters, how it was done from way way back. I envy him for that, but he had somebody to help him along. Now he is using their techniques plus adding in some of the modern stuff to (I'm sure) make some super wines. Many of us started out just hearing about how you can make some wine. Lots of people are finding their way here and looking for ways to come up with some wine. The first time is a bit scary and you don't want to ruin what you are trying. So they use some cheap ingredients and maybe come up with a halfway decent drink. They try again and after a few trys, get to thinking I wonder what would happen with some good fruit of some kind. These are the folks we are trying to help on here. We all have noticed people coming on with a problem, we give a few answers and never find out how things came out. I believe we fix a lot of problems, although there are also lots that the people just give up on. Lots of great folks on here willing to help. Just glad I can sometimes be a part of it. Also glad I have them all to fall back on when I need a little help. Arne.

Have the bottles in the fridge for now. I might try and pop the corks and put in champagne bottles with beer caps. Wonder how much of the carbonation I would lose doing that but figure its worth a try.

Julie said:
We'll look on the bright side, it's better than making wine with Kool Aid :slp

Hey. There are multiple threads about adding kool aid to skeeter pee. Drinking one now. Lol

Well John, we all had to start somewhere. Many years ago, I started with welches or some other grape concentrate. Wine was probably terrible, but it had alcohol and give us a cheap drunk while waiting for payday. Think I do a little better now, though. LOL, Arne.

Excuse me, I passed out for a minute there.....

We all have to remember how we started. John got to learn from some of the old masters, how it was done from way way back. I envy him for that, but he had somebody to help him along. Now he is using their techniques plus adding in some of the modern stuff to (I'm sure) make some super wines. Many of us started out just hearing about how you can make some wine. Lots of people are finding their way here and looking for ways to come up with some wine. The first time is a bit scary and you don't want to ruin what you are trying. So they use some cheap ingredients and maybe come up with a halfway decent drink. They try again and after a few trys, get to thinking I wonder what would happen with some good fruit of some kind. These are the folks we are trying to help on here. We all have noticed people coming on with a problem, we give a few answers and never find out how things came out. I believe we fix a lot of problems, although there are also lots that the people just give up on. Lots of great folks on here willing to help. Just glad I can sometimes be a part of it. Also glad I have them all to fall back on when I need a little help. Arne.

Arne,

You should know me by now, and that this is just a joke about how I am a wine snob. I do not mean to belittle anyone that makes wine from welches, (just so long as I do not have to drink it :) ).

Arne,

You should know me by now, and that this is just a joke about how I am a wine snob. I do not mean to belittle anyone that makes wine from welches, (just so long as I do not have to drink it :) ).

Think maybe I was rambling. Sometimes I wish we were all talking together, I know its a joke but we don't always get things down when writing so it comes out like we want. I also know you were not putting anybody down. I still envy you for having somebody teach you how to make your wines. Most of what I know I have learned from here and by trial and error. It is amazing, tho, a fellow can make a drinkable wine without knowing much about it, especially when he has a little help from his friends on here. :i Arne.

Think maybe I was rambling. Sometimes I wish we were all talking together, I know its a joke but we don't always get things down when writing so it comes out like we want. I also know you were not putting anybody down. I still envy you for having somebody teach you how to make your wines. Most of what I know I have learned from here and by trial and error. It is amazing, tho, a fellow can make a drinkable wine without knowing much about it, especially when he has a little help from his friends on here. :i Arne.

Arne,

Thanks for the compliment. I learned strictly from my family. I spawned from a long line of winemakers.

The advantage here is that you learn the experience of the others before you. The down side is that (sometimes) the experiences of others is explained away with no basis in science.

A prime example would be the superstition of never bottling during a full moon. My grandfather believed that this made for a coudy wine. Funny, this same man knew about the importance of PH and the Role of copper in winemaking.

Arne,

Thanks for the compliment. I learned strictly from my family. I spawned from a long line of winemakers.

The advantage here is that you learn the experience of the others before you. The down side is that (sometimes) the experiences of others is explained away with no basis in science.

A prime example would be the superstition of never bottling during a full moon. My grandfather believed that this made for a coudy wine. Funny, this same man knew about the importance of PH and the Role of copper in winemaking.

LOL, you know on here I have told people the the ferments not starting have to do with temperature, good yeasts, nutrition, oxygen and maybe the moon phase. Arne.

Back