First Batch

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pizz65

Reaction score
OK, I have a WE kit I'm in the clearing stage. the question is with all the sediment at the bottom of the carboy how does one keep the wine nice and clear while bottling? I was also wondering will the yeast smell go away? It still has a hint of the yeast smell. Thanks
smiley1.gif
</font>

Do not bottle from this carboy especially for a beginner as you will stir it up and have cloudy wine bottles. My suggestion to you is wait a few weeks and carefully rack off the compacted sediment into a clean carboy with the extra k-meta in there and either bulk age from there or bottle from there. The problem with bottling from a carboy with sediment is that you only have 2 hands and holding the bottling wand, bottle, and trying not to get the racking cane to stir up sediment at the same time is very tough.

Yes you can and if it has a spigot on it that really makes it much easier. Just attach the hose with wand to the spigot, open up the valve and bottle away!

Or you can rack it back to the primary, clean your carboy up good then rack it back to the carboy for continued bulk aging and clearing. If you elect to go this route, you will need a like/similiar wine to top up with.Edited by: Waldo

wade and waldo are both right,be patient,if you can buy a auto syphon 1/2 inch this will help to make better transfers from carboy to what ever else you have for larger quanities,this auto syphon will also help you leave allmost all the must behind ,so transfer wait let it settle out again,see how much must is still left behind ,if you are not set up to filter at this point than rack again untill clear or if its a red until very little must is in the bottom,then with a friend the first time bottle (just in case you need a unexpected hand,know what i mean) always remember this is a hobby and should be fun///
smiley20.gif

What Wade and Waldo said!

I'd also like to add...I tend to be greedy and try and get every drop of clear stuff. When I am, I usually slip with my siphon hand and rile the settled stuff. I've finally figured out it's okay to leave some of the clear wine and know that the bulk of what I've racked is crystal clear. Later I will rack what's left into a bottle or two and let clear and either siphon and bottle or drink.

I normally don't correct folks when they are replying to a post because I value all opinions. In this case pizz65 is a new winemaker so I want him to get correct terminology. joeswine talks of leaving almost all of the must behind at racking. He is referring to lees not must. The lees are the dead yeast cells and such. Must is "The unfermented or fermenting juice expressed from fruit, especially grapes".

Don't mean to step on any toes here, I sometimes use the wrong term for what I mean to say.

Pizz, I always bottle from the primary as it has that nice spigot on it.
smiley4.gif

I rack from the carboy to the primary and usually leave wine that is sitting on the lees there.
I have not bottled any wine that has been cloudy. Hope this helps~
smiley36.gif

Pizz, I usually bottle from spigot to bottle. It works very well. Others may attach the hose to the spigot. It is all personal technique. Which ever works for you.
smiley4.gif

I attach the hose to the spigot and use the bottling wand. Just open the spigot valve and push the wand onto the bottom of the bottle and it will fill all bottles leaving the perfect headspace without worrying about having to reach up and shut off the spigot and making a mess on the floor and by doing it in the bucket you dont have to start a siphon and worry about it draining back and stirring up any lees.

I agree with Wade....we also use that method and I can sit down on the job too.....

I just have a few bottles in a shallow pan on the floor and get busy.....when you want to stop just lay the wand on a paper towel beside the bucket....no worry about drips or spills.

just wanted to see if you were listing appleman,also does any out there us afarriari bottle filler,i think i spelled it right,a diaphram style filler excellent tool,quick and accurate with no mess and easy to use on dark bottles which can be a problem at times,like in the not so brightness of my work station

Eventually I will fork out the cash and get an Enolmatic for bottling, filtering and especially for sterile filtering. But that will have to wait.

Latest posts

Back