first batch welch's concentrate

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jvr06

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I've been reading a lot of posts here and I just got my first batch going. I'm doing the Welch's Concord with concentrate and juice for my first run at it, 6 gallons. Great advice and tips I've read so far and plan to use this site often.

Here's the run down so far:
18 cans of Welch's concentrate, grape (I was trying to buy 24 but I wiped out 2 stores)
64 oz Welch's Grape juice
2 Gallons of Spring Water
3 tsp Pectic Enzyme (1 hour before pitching the yeast)
4 tsp Acid blend
6 tsp Yeast nutrient
2 tsp Wine Tannin
6 Campden tablets
1 Red Star Montrachet

Poured all of the concentrate into sanitized primary and added all of the additives. Filled primary up to the 6 gallon line. Took a SG reading and it was at 1.074 and sugared to 1.090. Took acid reading and was at .70%. Temperature reading was at 64 degrees.

I let it sit for 24 hours and then I started the yeast by rehydrating in a glass with a tbsp sugar and warm water. Must temperature was now at 68 degrees. Pitched the yeast on Sunday 3/24 around 12:30pm. Checked it this morning and gave it a stir, will do the 2 stirs a day as I seen it mentioned alot. Temperature is now at 73 degrees and the must is fizzing and a cap is starting to develope.

I'll do another SG reading on Wednesday to see what kind of progress it's making. I plan to rack into carboy when it hits 1.010. I attached a picture of the primary so far.

Is there anything I should keep my eye on or look out for? Thanks for any suggestions.

must.jpg

Welcome to WMT. Everything looks really good. Clearly you've been paying attention. One thing to keep in mind is sanitation. Make certain everything that touches the wine and anything touching anything that touches the wine is clean and sanitized, including the spoon, hydrometer, wine thief, and your hands.

Thanks Tony! Yes, I have my bottle of sanitizer filled and I've been spraying everything as suggested by most. I'll post some more pictures along the way too.

When I saw your pic, I said, "Oh yeah!" out loud. Looking good. :try

This is an excellent first wine to try. Very forgiving. Have fun.

I was thinking the same as Jim. I sneaked a Taste of mine last night ... Mamameu is it good. It's been in a Carboy since January .. On third racking now. Will TRY to let it age another month.

I was thinking the same as Jim. I sneaked a Taste of mine last night ... Mamameu is it good. It's been in a Carboy since January .. On third racking now. Will TRY to let it age another month.

LOL, and now it is calling to you. Come drink me, been there done that. Arne.

So it's been about 3 1/2 days since I pitched the yeast in. I took a reading and my SG was 1.016 and I started at 1.090. My temp has come down from 78 degrees at 6:00pm last night to 73 degrees at 9:30pm this evening. I've been stirring the must 2x a day and here's a picture of the latest after I gave it a stir.

Does anything seem off? I guess I'm good to rack into carboy, right? If so, I'm going to do it tomorrow in the evening.

Thanks for any suggestions.

wednesday.jpg

1st racking, leftover question

So, I just did my first racking and I have about 1/2 gallon leftover that I want to save for topping off. Will the juice be ok in that without an airlock or will it spoil? I have another airlock but I don't have a bung for that gallon jug. How long do you think it will keep as maybe I can purchase something within the next couple of days?

Thanks for any advice.

rack1.jpg

Rubber band a piece of saran / plastic wrap over the top and poke a pin hole in it. That will allow C02 to escape. It should continue to ferment and should not be a problem.

You could also place it in the fridge. Since it likely still has residual sugar it should ferment out after you add back.

I would suggest finding a smaller jug to store it in after you fill your carboy up more. To me it looks like you have too much head space in your carboy.. I typically like go to within a inch below the airlock bung. Less if it is still producing foam.

Thanks for the advice. I'll fill up the carboy some more and put whatever is rest in a smaller container.

It's day 8 of fermentation. I can still see some bubbles coming up the must but verly lightly though. I took a SG reading and got 0.998. I've already racked once, when I hit 1.016 so I'll let this go for 3-4 weeks before I rack again. The must looks very rich and deep in color and I took a sip and it's very tart right now.

My beginning SG reading was 1.090 so as it stands this wine is at an ABV of 12.24% right?

When I rack in a few weeks should I take an acid reading then and adjust if necessary?

Is there anything else I should do? Thanks for the advice.

day8.jpg

Latest posts

Back