first batch lots of questions

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wine lady

Junior
Reaction score
Hello Everyone, Just started to make peach blueberry wine. Used distilled water instead of boiling and I am worried because when I added my yeast (i disolved it in 2 oz of warm water first and waited 15 min) after 12 hours it doesnot look like it is doing anything. the sg was 1.088 and acid was .60 Am I just to eager or did I mess up?

Welcome to the forums!

It usually takes about 24 hours to get going. Don't panic, let nature take its course.

Welcome to the forum and keep asking questions. This group will amaze you with their knowledge.

Distilled water is going to be harder to get to ferment that regular water. Distilled water has all mineral ions like Magnesium removed, which is beneficial for the yeast, removed. If you have any yeast nutrient you might throw that in there. What yeast did you use?

Distilled water has also had all the 02 taken out which can even make it harder. Some yeasts will take off faster then others while some like Red Star Cotes Des Blanc can really make you chew your finger nails as it can sometimes take 2-3 days to notice fermentation. That sounds like a good mix, can you include your whole recipe so we can examine it including how much k-meta(campden tablets or metabisulfite) you used?

Hello winelady - I can't add anything to what the others have posted but I wanted to welcome you to the forum!
Wayne

Thanks for all replys. Here is my recipe 7.5 lbs peaches
6lbs blueberrys
11.25 lbs sugar
4.5 gal water (came up to 6 gal mark on bucket so stopped adding)
9 tsp acid blend
4.5 tsp pectic
3/4 tsp tannin
3 tsp energizer
6 campden tab
1 pkg yeast
we checked acid level before adding yeast and added acid blend until it came up to .60 sg was 1.088 It still does not look like it is doing any bubbling or anything...only been day and a half ..I may need more patience right

How long after the campden was added before you added the yeast?

Also, visual signs of fermentation can be very misleading. You really need another sg reading to be certain what is happening.

Steve

Same thing I was thinking Steve. Also seems a bit light on the fruit, how many gallons is this? What was the expiration date on the yeast, may have been old? What was the temp of the water must when you added the yeast, too warm add the yeast may nor survive? BTW, You can always add another packet of yeast, and rehydrate in a couple of ounces of water like you did before.
Take an SG reading and see if it lower. Also the easiest way to tell if its fermenting with out taking a reading is lean down close to the must and listen, should hear some popping that means its fermenting. Honest it sounds a bit crazy but it works for those ninja yeast.
Some yeasts do take a bit to start like Wade said but this is usually a very durable yeast.
VC

Thanks for all replys. Here is my recipe 7.5 lbs peaches
6lbs blueberrys
11.25 lbs sugar
4.5 gal water (came up to 6 gal mark on bucket so stopped adding)
9 tsp acid blend

Seams like alot of fruit wines are only getting 2-3# per gal. Unlike me who like more body I will have doubled it to 5-6# per gallon w/ a f-pac and backsweeten.

I usually use about 4 to 5# per gallon for fruit and fill the juice/water mark to 6 gallons before adding the crushed fruit. That way I know I'll have 6 gallons and a bit. I also usually make a suss reserve that I keep in the freezer until stabilization time to bring the heavy fresh fruit taste back too.

I have noticed that sometimes the yeast does not get enough 02 when first started so i open the lid to the fermenter a time or 2 in the first couple hours and it takes right off.

I never snap on the lid or put an airlock on the primaryuntil gravity is around 1.015 and then I transfer and put under airlock. Just lay the lid over the plactic bucket

Welcome Wine Lady!!! Enjoy your hobby and ask lots of questions. This is the place to be if you need answers!!!
smiley4.gif

Latest posts

Back