First batch from juice concentrate

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdmangas

Junior
Reaction score
This is only our 2nd (fruit) season and could not wait for fresh fruit so we decide to try it from concentrate

I believe I got the SG a little to high go with the yeast we are using It is a batch of Orange, Pineapple. I got the SG up a little higher than I intended 1.17 We am using Pastur Red yeast and after 2+ weeks in the pirmary it is down to 1.045 ( going down VERY slowly.)

I have just added (last night) some yeast nutrient and energizer to the must

Should I just wait it out to close to 1.020 to move it the Secendary?

Make a starter for another pack of Pastur Red (adding some of the must to acclimate it to the current alcohol level)

Make a starter out a differnet yeast like a Montpellier KIV 1116 that has a higher alcohol tolerance

that seems like a super high starting sg. What abv where you aiming for? By my calculations with a starting sg of 1.17 and it currently at 1.045 you should be around 16.7%
if it finishes at 1.02 it will be about 20% abv

Sly's right that sg was pretty high. I am not sure if you will get this to go any lower. Did you want a high alcohol wine? The reason I ask is, since this is one, you need to understand the alcohol will mask the fruit flavor.

We were not trying for that high a SG level. We misjudges the last amount of sugar we added. I have moved it to a secondary and we well will wait and see what happens.

make another batch with a lower abv and blend them together.

Latest posts

Back