RJ Spagnols Finishing RJS Winery Series California syrah

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smartdog

Reaction score
I am working on a Cellar Classic Winery Series California Syrah. The primary fermentation went well, and as per the kit instructions I racked to secondary on day 8 (it was ready on six, but time and other commitments delayed me). For most of the first week in the secondary fermentation, bubbles were present on the surface, and by the end of the first week the specifc gravity dropped to about 1.003. For the last week the specific gravity has been around 1.002 (+/- due to temperature and wall effect in the measuring container). The instructions mentioning finsihing the wine at ~ day 28. I am currently at day 14, and the fermentation looks to be stoped (i.e very little SG changes and no descernable bubbles). The SG is in the range the instructions say is good (0.998 to 1.003).

AS this is my first batch I am hesitant to proceed, but I think it is ready, comments or suggestions?

Im guessing your temps arent where they should be like arount 73*. Cold temps make for problems finishing fermenting. Get it up to around 75* buy way of heating pad or brew belt and give it a good stir and it will most likely finish up. I make these all the time and they always go down around .0998 or less.

Thnaks, the room has cooled down some, but being a large room I did not want to turn the heat way up (using a corner of a large room). Dug out a heating pad, and wrapped the carboy with towels over the pad.

Keep me up to date on what it does please. Give it a good stir to get all the yeast suspended as some just gets buried when fermentatio0n closes up.

I plan to stir, but want to get the temp up some first. The temp was about 66 oF.

Back